Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

I have two rounds booked up at Pike Lake this weekend, which should be lovely. Course is in amazing shape and greens are recovered from aeration and rolling quicker and quicker by the week.

Let’s ignore the fact that my play lately has been a joke. I think losing 20lbs has also lost me my swing. If anyone has experience with weight loss induced swing loss, let me know.

2 Likes

I’m a member at Crown Isle in Courtenay and they will let you book as a single on the website. If you don’t want to sign up for an account you can call, i’m sure they will fit you in. If you’re looking for someone to play with let me know. Crown adopted strict protocols early and have so far stayed open the whole way through Covid. The other semi-private courses in the valley are open to members only right now. As @MarkInVictoria says it is a fun course despite running through a real estate development.

I haven’t played elsewhere on the island but Storey Creek in Campbell River is supposed to be good. It is 45 mins north. Campbell River golf club is supposed to be very well conditioned but a ho-hum layout.

I just relocated from Vancouver and my personal faves are Northlands, Seymour and Riverway. All would be within 45 mins of downtown as long as you avoid rush hour. (If that is a thing these days).

@sarah has good suggestions too, Langara is particularly fun but not long. Importantly it is accessible via the Canada Line which makes it 10-15 mins from downtown.

Northlands and Seymour are 2 minutes drive apart, ripe for a 36 hole day if you can swing it. Would have to be a Monday as that is the only day Seymour is open to the public.

2 Likes

This looks fun:

2 Likes

This will be great! Hope the live coverage turns out alright, interested to see who their teammates are. Thinking Jeff O’Neill and maybe someone from the Leafs?

1 Like

Just came on here to post this. Should be really cool.

I can’t imagine the players will be there since they are starting training camp and staying isolated. Frankly I’m surprised Dubas will be considering how difficult his job would be if he had to self-quarantine for 2 weeks. I would imagine you’re getting retired Leafs and some TSN guys. Should still be fun.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure. Maybe a Clark/Gilmour type.
Apparently Muzzin is quite a player, which would be fun to see. But good point on the self-quarantine.

Which one of yous does this belong to?

8 Likes

I tried to convince my wife to do something similar with our new car.

She didn’t go for it.

1 Like

For people interested in Vancouver Island meet-up

Looks like the final two slots have been picked. Sounds like an instagram broadcast is the plan with the replay being posted on youtube. I don’t think any of these guys are very good, but Gerry Dee tweets a lot of videos of his daughters swing and she looks legit. He is a funny guy though so hopefully he’ll be more exciting than Dubas is.

3 Likes

I think O’Neill is a pretty decent player. Plays a lot

Gerry Dee plays to a 5.6 at The National.

Dubas is 7.9 at Mississauga.

There are three Jeff O’Neill’s in Golf Canada’s database, two (Weston GC and Georgian Bay Club) are 0.9. The third out of Oakville is a 7.9

Duthie is a 10.3

Vanity handicaps! All of them!

5 Likes

I figured Dubas would have traded up in the draft, as he does.
It’s a cool idea! Hope they can pull it off. A very Canadian version of WWOG.

1 Like

Gerry is a really good player. Used the practice facility of a private course here in Halifax when filming Mr. D. Short game is pretty legit.

:rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light:

7 Likes

Birdied 8 as well

3 Likes

Remember when he shot 66-66 on the weekend at the Honda?

5 Likes

Pretty much a Canadian Heritage Moment at this point

3 Likes

Is a 60-60 Thursday-Friday better or worse than 66-66 on the weekend?

1 Like