Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Vancouver has 3 muni courses that are fun to play if a little expensive (Langara fraserview and Mcleery) Fraserview is my fav of the bunch. Rest of the Good city golf is private. Outside the city, I like swaneeset and north view. Northlands and Kingslinks I’ve heard good things. I really like ledgeview but that’s more than an hour out of Vancouver. UBC is a good twilight course in Vancouver (can only book 4 though)

1 Like

My main group is now geographically separated and Kitchener-Waterloo or Hamilton seem like the most reasonable halfway points, though anyone is happy to go a little further either way. Anyone know of any hidden gems we’re missing? Courses we’ve played the last couple years include:

-Tarandowah
-Savannah
-Rebel Creek
-Otter Creek
-Monthill
-Millcroft
-Tyandaga
-Dragon’s FIre

4 Likes

I always liked Grey Silo in KW, but haven’t played in years so not sure what condition it’s in.

1 Like

People are going to get tired of me pimping it, but Copetown Woods is a great option that I don’t think many have discovered.

Also, welcome to the Refuge! Happy to have another canuck join the ranks.

1 Like

Welcome aboard!

Tarandowah is great - it just changed ownership and I haven’t made it out this year, but it’s a fairly unique offering in these parts… We were talking here about trying to get a group out there at some point.

Rebel is decent enough - I was kind of underwhelmed when I played it for the first time, although I was not exactly driving it well which probably clouded my judgement…

Enjoyed Savannah well enough - there are a couple goofy holes but an enjoyable walk.

I really like Innerkip near Woodstock as well - just a fun course and the greens have always been great when I’ve played.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome, all.

Since moving on from St. Thomas when I entered the real world, I now consider Tarandowah my “home course”. I’d be happy to meet up with a group any time.

We actually played Rebel yesterday and thought it was great. Lots of intrigue and the greens were immaculate.

I should have added Copetown to my list, though we played in 4 degree, sideways rain weather. I’d love to have another crack at it.

I played Innerkip a couple times years ago. Probably worth checking out again.

1 Like

Wooof. That course is a good test in good conditions. I can imagine you’ll want another crack at it.

That about sums up my experience with it. As for goofy holes…
https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/worst-golf-holes/2878/1058?u=bigtimepolecat

1 Like

Love Savannah, totally underrated.

Innerkip was mentioned, but I was there this weekend and it’s in great condition. Lots of tee boxes for players of all levels too, not overly long but it’s fun. 5th hole with the island green is a lot of fun. Silo was also mentioned, I like it but it’s very tight and there are lots of non-driver holes (which not everyone loves).

If you go up into the Guelph area Victoria Park East is a great spot. I would look at Mystic too which is close to Hamilton. Oaks of St. George is in a similar location and can be a good challenge as well. If you’re looking for a course that’s very easy to get to, Doon Valley in Kitchener is right on the 401. It’s not everybody’s cup of tea but they did a renovation a few years ago and added new holes on the far side of the highway, they are a good challenge.

2 Likes

I will always defend Savannah, though I can’t disagree that #4 is awful. There are really no options other than hitting an iron ~165 and hoping to not get a bad bounce.

That, and the fact that there are some fairly similar holes on the back are my only real criticisms. I could probably play it every day.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree about the 4th. Not my favourite.

1 Like

Played Victoria Park East for the first time this year, and it was in the best shape I think I’ve ever seen it!

1 Like

I cottage up in Tobermory every summer. Golf up there is sparse so a trip to Owen Sound and area will be required this year.

Any feedback on Cobble Beach, Legacy Ridge, Lora Bay, or other?

Thanks!

Lora Bay I think has an underpar right now, you should grab it. I have not played but have heard good things.

Cobble Beach is very highly rated. Will be expensive and might be tough to get on, but is worth it from what I hear.

2 Likes

My friend, you have come to the right place.

I really enjoy all three courses. Capital “L” love Cobble and Lora, while Legacy is a good option as well, if not a bit too pricey for what it offers.

Cobble is probably the most consistently best conditioned course out of the three. No matter how you play, you’ll walk off there saying “oh my god, this might be the best course in Canada”. Slightly hyperbolic? Possibly. But those who have played it can attest to how good it is. If the north wind is blowing, it can be quite chilly and you’ll either have to club up or down by at least 3 or 4 clubs on some of the holes. If I could make love to a course, it would be Cobble Beach.

Lora Bay is my favourite test of the three. It requires precise shot making and can be windy as well, but its enjoyable. The views are breathtaking, and some of the homes in the neighbourhood are pretty cool to look at. I’ve played there when I’ve had my A game and walked away wanting another crack. I’ve played there when I’ve had less than my A game and said I’m never coming back. And yet, it is another course that is worthy of playing over and over again.

Legacy is fun, a relaxed vibe, with some goofy holes. The original 9 at Legacy is a Stanley Thompson design and you can certainly tell. The additional 9 make me shake my head occasionally, but I still enjoy playing it. I’d definitely not prioritize playing it over Cobble and Lora.

2 Likes

Spent a summer working at Lora Bay, loved the course. Probably my favourite behind the Cabot experience from what I’ve played. Great group of members up there as well

Also considering a similar trip since it looks like our annual trip to Kelowna is on the rocks

2 Likes

Going out as a single as my family doesn’t golf, and on a weekday. Guessing I won’t have an issue getting out there.

Are these courses walkable or do they prohibit that?

Sounds like I’m going to be in good shape either way (btw CB and Lora). Sweet.

You can definitely walk. Not sure about Lora, but Cobble charges you for the cart regardless of whether you take it or not.

Be prepared for significant elevation changes though. They both sit on the escarpment.

1 Like

When I was there they included cart in the fee as well, I’d imagine they still do. You can definitely walk though. I can only really think of 2 climbs that are tough on Lora Bay. 3->4 and 16->17, so at least they are spread out

1 Like