Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

I added my self under Canada/Great Lakes. As usual Buffalo, NY is a geographical outlier (New England, Great Lakes, Midwest) can be referred to as almost any of these subsets.

There are a few places which fall on their own somewhere in the middle but it’s entirely up to you to self identify which would work best for you. Or more than one. :slight_smile:

Hey GTA contingent - anyway interested in busting the winter blues with a sim golf meet up?

1 Like

Any other Sarnia-Lambton refugees hanging out here?

Committed to getting involved in a big way this year, looking to get some games in with fellow GTA 'fugees. Live in Toronto, mid-30s, get most of my rounds in at Wyndance. Added my name to RACDG as well, because why the hell not.

3 Likes

Yessir! When are you thinking? Lucky for me, I’m in Florida for a few days this week but I’m around the long weekend…

I’m in KW but drive to the GTA for work a bunch - way happier to do it for golf!

1 Like

Not fussy. Whenever we can get a group together. Was at Swing Golf Lounge today…bit of a hike for me but great spot.

I’ll be coming to ns this summer in july…and looking to golf quite alot…from yarmouth to cape breton…traveling in a group but golfing solo the entire trip…ideally I’d play a round or 2 with someone from the nlu community. I live in maine …and would also be interested in "hosting " any of you guys that are coming down this way. Cheers

Where in Maine you at. I’m in NB and have played quiet a few Maine courses. Belgrade Lakes is one of my favourite anywhere.

Near Bangor. Belgrade is great

Hello all. Just finished up planning a trip for the wife’s bday from Maryland to Vancouver over Master’s weekend. Not trying to play golf while there but curious if local bars will typically show Masters coverage or how to go about watching Tiger repeat as an out of towner. Thanks in advance for any tips!

I would imagine that this place is most likely to have it on with sound. Right downtown.

1 Like

How’s your holiday Monday shaping up? I could definitely be convinced to hit some balls - especially staring down playing some ACTUAL golf this week!

Either I’ll be pumped to get my 2020 golf szn going, or in desperate need of some more swings after hitting it off the planet outdoors…

I’ve had luck getting them to play golf at different sports bars - I assume most will be playing the Masters since it’s a major sports event.

I’d recommend St Augustine’s. They’ll put golf on if you ask and have tons of taps will local beers (although it’s not the most comfortable environment

http://www.staugustinesvancouver.com/

A bunch of the downtown bars should also be good too - Cinema, the Local

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! My wife ( a non golfer) planned this trip for the food scene so I’m hoping I can drag her in to some breweries/craft beer spots where I can catch some coverage.

1 Like

Has anyone ever noticed a big jump in their putting performance after spending time on a simulator during the winter months? I’ve been getting some real solid winter work in for the first time in about 10 years (I miss you, South Carolina winters), and I feel like I’ve never been more confident in marrying line and speed.

Just interested to see if anyone else noticed this improvement in a part of the game that I wasn’t really expecting to benefit from winter sim golf. Also mostly just hoping this (faux?) improvement translates outdoors.

None of the craft breweries have TVs (which probably make them better for actually visiting in!) But most bars (even chain ones) have a decent selection of craft beers.

If there are any types of restaurant suggestions you’re looking for, happy to give some. Vancouver food scene is awesome!

Agree that breweries not having TV’s makes for a better visit!

The wife is a vegetarian/vegan so she already has a solid list of places she wants to try from bloggers/chefs she follows. But will gladly accept other recommendations!

Highly recommend Ask For Luigi (amazing pasta) and Nightingale (a little pricey, but an amazing tapas joint). I’ve only been out here for a year and a bit but those have become my go-to’s. Sandbar also has an awesome view from their rooftop patio and would be a good spot for dinner if you planned on checking out Granville Island at some point.

2 Likes

Hahaha - I sent a DM that had Nightingale at the top. Love their cocktails

2 Likes