Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

I get that the owners think they’ve got major brand association with the name Cabot, but to me, it really makes no sense as a brand name out of Cape Breton. In fact, this expansion kind of cheapens the name in my eyes. The St. Lucia site looks more like a real estate play to me than an actual golf resort, and I assume something similar with this new announcement.

I know the original courses have a real estate component, but they’ve always been marketed as golf-first properties. These new sites don’t really seem the same to me, and because of that, I’m just not that excited about new “Cabot” properties.

That said, they seem to be able to generate a ton of hype when they announce these things (they know how to work that influencer market for sure), so I’m sure they don’t care about losing my occasional green fee if they’re filling their courses with rich Americans.

The rockies are so dense with golf options already. Sign me up for more though as this is close(ish) for many of us in alberta.

Hey, who has two thumbs and won Tarandowah‘s Masters contest for a free foursome in 2021? This GUI!!

12 Likes

I’m not even in Canada, but point still stands.

2 Likes

This, or Bandon: Orlando.

1 Like

Man! Lots of winners on the refuge today!

8 Likes

What! It’s a conspiracy, good haul kids.

New game. Canadian refugees win Instagram contests. All winners go into a blind draw to play Tarandowah with @newballcoach thanks to his free round.

Sorry, man, yes I am giving your round away :joy:

4 Likes

Very interesting. Seems a similar play to Panorama - which paired Greywolf golf with the ski hill to help make it more a year round place. Can’t wait to see what Whitman does here! Revy is an amazing ski hill.

1 Like

Cool to see this pop up on the podcast feed this afternoon! @Tron

Edit: 5 minutes in and Tron is blowing up the USGA, bravo sir

6 Likes

I love OverDrive! Just listened to it
How outrageous can O’Dog get?
Would love to sit and crush beers with him

His golf takes are so bad, yet they’re too entertaining not to listen.

The way those guys pronounced Deshawwwmbo had me rolling. I always struggle with radio bc it feels like a podcast, so I’m comfortable, but then I remind myself constantly that I can’t cuss.

Was all fired up to talk about Weirsy and Conners and Mackenzie Hughes’ T7 at Honda, and all they wanted to do was shit on Bryson, which was fine by me!

12 Likes

Love it. TC taking over Toronto rush hour sports radio!
I’m surprised they didn’t get you going on the Leafs revamped D core or winger pairings for Matthews this season. Next time.

6 Likes

These are some Tron takes I’d love to hear.

I’ve never heard that show before, but as a lifelong Canadian that’s lived on both sides of the country, those are the most stereotypical Canadian hosed accents I’ve ever heard.

1. @Tron, you as a recurring guest on Overdrive would be hilarious. I’m here for that.

2. After the segment ended and the TSN guys kept talking, ODog said that Spieth had fired his longtime coach. Is he in the business of casually breaking golf news now or did McCormick actually get the axe and I’m living under a rock and haven’t heard it yet?

Also, Soly got the Sportsnet call but as any good Canadian will tell you, TSN > Sportsnet, so congrats, @Tron, you are now our favoUrite son.

5 Likes

Absolutely enjoyed the takes.
May have to work on that audio quality incoming if its going to be a regular thing.

Yeah I was disappointed they didn’t want to talk about Listowel, Ontario’s own Corey Conners. He had a great tournament and I was very impressed (not that anybody watching the broadcast would have seen him).

I promise most Canadians don’t say DeChambeau like that. These guys are hockey announcers, I think they’re used to saying french names.