Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Same! It got chilly overnight, but we had a 10 min delay today that was caught up by the time we teed off.

Cruised through 18 in 3.5hrs, Springfield was in decent shape and both @newballcoach and @1Goodman represented the early #yotb efforts valiantly. Took me about 14 holes to find a groove, unfortunately…!

Great to meet @1Goodman and his pops - just such a bonus to go deep in to October this year.

4 Likes

Was absolutely great to play with you both, and my dad couldn’t stop talking about how much fun he had. I’m sure the fact he waxed us helped a bit. Looking forward to getting together more next year.

1 Like

In Saskatoon we have a muni that is known for putting out temp greens when they close for the year for the few weeks before the major snowfall. We are looking at getting back up to12 degrees next week so hopefully will get a few more days to get out for a walk and hit a few balls.

1 Like

He’s an absolute beaut. I hope he’s ready for a group of 20 of us to show up at the trailer for a BBQ and round of golf!

2 Likes

Long post warning but I just wanted to post this specifically in here because I like the opinions and vibe in here. (I posted this in some else’s thread already too on Travel Planning)

Anyhow…

We are planning a “Rye-der” Cup for my bachelor party in June. Right now we got about 16 people planning to come. No singles matchplay, it will be a variety of Pinehurst, Shamble, and Scramble.

It’s actually pretty good that out of those 16, theres only about 2 people that would shoot over 105 with 1 of those being an absolute beginner, my best-man so I think the competition will be fine. So mostly 90s golfers with a few low 80s and 1 mid 70s.

We are applying rough handicaps for people that dont have them already so the matches are more evened out.

We are looking at atleast 2 rounds with an optional 3rd round for people who are taking Friday off. (expecting maybe 6-8 the Friday round, but we think this could also become bigger since people already have limited options for taking days off for travel in the Covid era)

We are trying to get an idea then on the best way to organize the other days and Im just wondering what you guys would prefer in a similar situation. The town we are going to is about a 3 hour drive from where we live. (Clear Lake/Wasagaming from Winnipeg) These are our thoughts right now…

-Would it best to do 2 rounds on the Saturday? For the people that arent coming out for the Friday afternoon round, we could start the 1st round at around 10am to give people time to drive in the morning. Maybe then stop for a 60min late lunch and start another round at 4? To me it sounds just a bit tight but I think a decent amount could do a 36 hole day if they took the morning round easier for drinks. While we dont expect everyone to do the Friday after-noon round, we still expect a decent amount will drive out for Friday night partying.

-Otherwise we are thinking 1 round Saturday that is probably the Scramble since it will be the drunkest round. Than do the Shamble on Sunday morning, award the trophy and prizes and people can drive home for 6pm.

Thanks for any insight! I’ve never planned a golf trip and seeing that my best man is an absolute beginner to the game, I’m trying to help with advice. My other 2 guys in my party are also avid golfers.

Sounds like a great weekend! Fingers crossed it comes together for you.

The answer depends on how many hard core golfers come out. A 36 hole day for a casual golfer is a tall ask, especially after a night of drinking or a long drive. Limiting play to 18 holes on Saturday and 18 holes on Sunday will have more mass appeal in my view. The answer changes if the weekend is all about the golf.

2 Likes

I’ve done this a couple of times in Lake Placid, NY.

Friday - one round for the early arrivals in the afternoon
Saturday - Morning round individual competition
Saturday afternoon - scramble
Sunday morning - optional round (most didn’t play)

If you play 36 on the Saturday and then go out big on Saturday night, most guys are not getting up Sunday morning to play 18 and then drive for 3 hours. If you don’t drink much Saturday then it’s doable.

1 Like

If any of you Canadian sickos is in the hunt for something new this demo sale season, Modern Golf’s demo sale is live.

2 Likes

Testing my willpower with those Air Max 1s on sale… I’ve been avoiding burning more cash on golf shoes for weeks, but this might do it.

Do it man

giphy (5)

3 Likes

The owners of Tarandowah are getting ready for 2021. They recently updated their website with tons of pictures and it looks sick. They also plan on offering a “Preferred Players Card” next year, aimed on providing a bit of a discount for people who will be playing more than 5 or so rounds. I think a monthly Duck Club meeting might be in order for 2021?

5 Likes

At the very least the inaugural Onterrible Refuge Ryder Cup, brought to you by the Year of the Blade

1 Like

My loins quiver at the images on that updated website.

Should a new thread be created to crowd source feedback on dates/names/format/swag for the aforementioned Onterrible Refuge Ryder Cup?

Not muddy the waters here, and open it up to some of our friends south of the border, should they be able to cross the border next year?

• Yes
  • No
  • Dense/Butthurt

0 voters

Every other major Refuge event has a thread.

1 Like

Would the Modern Golf demo sale have similar prices to the GT one? I like the picturess/condition of a few of those g410s at 389.

Yeah, would probably be a good spot to get fresh eyes and gauge interest

1 Like

3 Likes

Really like what they did for the course tour using the topo maps for each hole

4 Likes