Roll Call: St. Louis - Match Play Info Post 2739

Aberdeen and Annbriar both fuq tho.

2 Likes

Playing Aberdeen today

A little windyā€¦ Should be perfect

3 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I feel like I need to go to a group like this for golf fans, my topic would be Normandie. I hear everyoneā€™s complaints, I understand everyone that says bad things. Then I go to bed and just think, ā€œbut what if they put in grass bunkers everywhere, made the cart path dirt, and took the trees away from tee boxes so grass could grow.ā€

I am starting to realize I am on my own on Normandie island, may be time to sell as well.

3 Likes

Thanks for setting this up James. Totally missed originally that it was at Glen Echo. Thanks for getting us on. Looking forward to meeting you guys and slapping it around.

2 Likes

No problem, itā€™ll be great to have you guys out!

1 Like

Maybe a take for the contrarian thread: Aberdeen is a million percent overrated. Solid public option in an area with a lack of good GCA golf but woof is this course not playable

Never played there, but itā€™s been on my list. Not playable how?

When is the last time you played there? I havenā€™t played it this year, but never recall it being unplayable unless it immediately followed flooding

By unplayable, I meant horrible strategic design. Tight corridors with hazards everywhere, taking it close to the hazards brings no benefit, etc

They should not be hosting the METGA Am this year. No way

2 Likes

I know that Aberdeenā€™s previous course superintendent, manager, jack of all trades, Matt Oā€™Dell is no longer there. I never played out there but always heard good things when he was there. I think he was kind of like the life-blood out there and now that heā€™s gone, probably isnā€™t the same.

Believe he is at the Legends now.

As someone who doesnā€™t play as much as Iā€™d like almost any day on the golf course is better than not. Slow play bothers me way more than course design. The course can be unbelievable but if it takes me 5+ hours to get around Iā€™m going crazy. However, good course design is certainly the cheery on top. Missouri golf/climate/soil is just not meant for fabulous golf. I actually like Forest Park a lot but 80% of the time I want to play there I know it will take me 5+ hours. I just canā€™t do it. At least during the week I know I can get around Aberdeen in under 4 or close to it.

Hey, everyone. Just signed up and checking in here. Iā€™m a Metro East guy who plays mostly at Glen Echo, but Iā€™m down to play just about anywhere. Crack on!

1 Like

Welcome!
You just missed a Refugee meetup at Glen Echo last Fridayā€¦

Iā€™m a Glen Echo player myself

1 Like

Thanks! Sorry I missed it. I was there Saturday and Sunday. This is my first full season at GECC and I absolutely love the course. You playing there this weekend?

1 Like

The course is awesome. Really holds up for such a classic design. 14-18 is as good as it gets. 16 is just a crazy strong hole
We played with a Golfweek course rater last week, excited to see his write up of the course.

I wonā€™t be out there this weekend, unfortunately.

1 Like

Please post that write up whenever it comes out. Iā€™d be interested in his take.

Web.com Monday qualifier was held at Gateway and Annbriar yesterday. 78 players at each site with the top 6 at each earning a spot in the Web.com tournament in Springfield, IL this Thursday. 66 at Annbriar and 65 at Gateway the low scores of the day. The wind yesterday made the scores a lot higher than the year before. Pretty cool site that allows you to see all the scores on each hole to show the easiest/hardest holes for the pros. Notables in the Gateway field was Dylan Meyer who played at Illinois who has a few starts on the PGA tour and Andrew Loupe (both WD).

1 Like

Way late to the party, but Iā€™m just across the river in Millstadt, IL

1 Like

Never checked in here myself. Iā€™m in south county area near Mehlville. I tend to stick around courses just south of me or on the IL side of the river.

1 Like