Roll Call: St. Louis - Match Play Info Post 2739

Just moved here from southwest Florida. Anyone got recommendations on where to play or need a 4th for their weekend game? I can be a +2 or a 10, whatever we need to tell the others to accept me.

2 Likes

St. Louis CC is sublime

2 Likes

Any tips on how to get on without knowing a member?

There are a few of us in the STL area on here. Quite a few decent tracks around the area in addition to a few outstanding clubs.

Went to school down here and just moved back in January after some time back in WI. Annbriar, Pevely Farms and Gateway are all pretty good. Normandie has a fantastic layout imo, but can’t often justify playing it due to the conditions. Always looking for a new places to play

2 Likes

I played Normandie a few weeks ago for the first time. Their greens were in outstanding shape and I agree their layout is fantastic. I’m not as big of fan of Pevely but do enjoy Aberdeen.

1 Like

Like mentioned above, Gateway National and Pevely Farms are awesome. I love the Missouri Bluffs as well, and there’s usually decent rates on GolfNow or places like that. For a quick 9 holes, Ruth Park in University City is always in great shape and is super cheap.

1 Like

I played Aberdeen on Monday, it was a fun track. 18 tee shot is not friendly to the wipey fade.

1 Like

I’m around the STL area but on the Illinois side, so I don’t get to play some of the MO tracks as often. As others have said, Annbriar and Gateway are good if they’re firm. The Highlands is a fun 9-holer in Forest Park, but it’s usually pretty busy.

Normandie is on my list to play, just haven’t taken the chance. MO Bluffs and Aberdeen as well, for the publics anyway.

1 Like

Gateway is always my go to. A lot of the time you can catch STL athletes on the course as well which is pretty cool.

Has anyone played Timber Lakes over in IL? I have a buddy that for some reason really wants to play it, but I’m a bit skeptical

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I’ve been there. I don’t know what the draw would be.

I had to look it up, never even heard of it

Glad to see some STL support for NLU! Would be fun to set up a game sometime

2 Likes

Definitely glad to see I’m not the only NLU/golf nut in town. Been getting more into golf architecture stuff which I know is not for everyone but here are some recs based on that:

As far as public golf goes: Gateway is #1 - Keith Foster course. Ruth Park is an awesome 9-hole course with same architect as Normandie but in better condition.

A couple places that haven’t been mentioned: Forest Park (busy but has some classic architecture), Landings at Spirit is fun and quirky. Florissant Golf Club in North County has some old school vibes with a lot of hills and blind shots.

For private golf: SLCC is tops. Played St. Clair CC in Belleville, IL which is a Langford course and was awesome. Persimmon Woods is great, another Keith Foster design.

Persimmon Woods is my favorite track in St. Louis. There’s just so many good holes. I’m no longer in St. Louis but dream of coming back and joining there. Good reciprocal rates with other clubs too.

The Biarritz at Forest Park is siiick. Redbud is the best 9 there. I could play Normandie all day, just a little bit of TLC and turn all the bunkers into grass bunkers and the place may be too good.

2 Likes

Grass bunkers at Normandie would be #gross

1 Like

STL Checking in from Dogtown. Been (re)learning to play the last couple of years. As with many, I have friends that golf, but not quite as often as I’d like… I agree would be awesome to see something with fellow NLU/refugees

1 Like

Gateway best public in STL IMO…member at Whitmoor CC in St Charles County. Would love to have you out sometime. Also agree on Persimmon Woods…love that track.

3 Likes