Roll Call: St. Louis - Match Play Info Post 2739

Added bonus… I believe @anon43372372 @Nickygifts and I will ALL be playing our YOTB blades … so the comedy of us writhing in pain from thinned shots will be worth the price of admission.

2 Likes

I wish, winning with all 4 of us playing YOTB would be sick. I’m on call though.

1 Like

I’ll be brining my 8802, so putting from 100yds out may still be the play AND it’ll still be a blade.

2 Likes

my brother in law is member at whitmoor. That place kicks my ass. 10th tee on north makes my knees buckle.

@espendogger - I know you want in on this…!

If this is for the New Year’s Eve thing and still need someone, I’m available and willing

1 Like

Alright alright alright!

You… uh… you playing blades?

2 Likes

I’m sure I could pull out an old set of my dad (67 y/o) and just have a miserable round

1 Like

Perfect, you’ll fit right in!

3 Likes

@chrismarz I want too but not sure what the family obligations were going to be that day. However it looks like in my haste you guys filled out a foursome. If anyone needs to back out, I can be first alternate.

2 Likes

I’ll be out of town but thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Does anyone have intel on the St Charles private clubs? Bogey Hills, Whitmoor, Persimmon Woods, and Old Hickory would all be within a short enough drive.

I’ve always been a public golfer, and my only experience with private clubs was as a caddy at Bellerive back in high school. That experience led me to believe private golf was too expensive/stuffy for my tastes, but private club thread has opened my eyes that not all clubs are created equal. Definitely not interested in the social status aspects.

I’m a golf sicko like most on here, so stuff like quick rounds and being walking friendly would be valuable to me. My wife and daughter are beginners, so a welcoming environment where they can continue learning the game without judgment/pressure would be best for them (in non-peak times of course).

Also curious about the relative costs between the different options. We’re in a comfortable financial position where we could potentially stretch to spend on a luxury that improves quality of life. Definitely not a “money is no object” situation though.

Appreciate any insights!

I don’t know the prices but Persimmon is very walkable and is only golf so the family amenities may be limited.

Whitmoor has two 18’s which allows for more tee times but is not nearly as walkable imo. I have also heard conditions are going downhill but I played there a few years ago and it was very nice. Hope that helps!

What’s the golf league scene like in STL for a mid handicapper?

Metropolitan Golf Assoc. runs a pretty nice series of events every year:

Other than that, its mostly corporate run stuff at Ballwin, Creve Coeur, Ruth Park…etc…

1 Like

Keep in mind this is just one person’s assessment … other people may have different takes.

Persimmon Woods is awesome. I used to be a member at Westborough CC and we had a 10 round/yr reciprocity with Persimmon Woods and I loved playing there. It was always in good shape when I played (although to be fair my last round was 2 yrs ago).

I played Whitmoor CC this summer when they had a ‘preview’ day in an effort to recruit members I’m guessing. It looked like the course was in decline. Maybe I caught at a bad time but nowhere near the conditioning Persimmon had for me.

I’ve not played Bogey Hills but I’ve gotten a lot of emails this year from them offering tee times to come and play the course. That might be a bad sign about declining membership?

And I know nothing about Old Hickory so can’t offer anything there. If we lived closer to that area Persimmon Woods would be the one for me but I’ve never looked into what their initiation/dues fees are to know how they compare to the others.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Great info. Persimmon looked like a really fun course from the flyovers they have on their website, just wish it had a pool to help convince the wife. Appreciate the opinions.

I played whitmoor over thanksgiving and it was great. They keep the greens in immaculate condition.

It poured rain all Morning before our round and while the greens were still drying out, I couldn’t get a putt to stop they were so fast.

Also, I can see where one would not consider it walkable as the tee boxes are spread out a bit.

Old Hickory is a fantastic track too (minus the 14th hole) I believe they had some grass troubles on the greens this year, so not the best year to shop that track. I know they have the pool there so it might be more family friendly.

I’m not a member there (or anywhere)… fortunate to play both in some amateur events. I can say I enjoyed both immensely. OV does have the reputation of being more of a lower hdcp players club. Not to say old Hickory doesn’t have sticks too… just the reputation.

Haven’t played Bogey but played the others and belong at PW. It’s a great course, practice facility, and for the family. Plenty of room for late rounds in the afternoon with the family and a lot of different games for the weekend (low Handicap to high.) They welcome rounds from prospective members as do the others so I would reach and play. Whitmoor has a huge social contingent which can be great as well and I’ve heard has reciprocal to other Walters Courses which might be nice. Also PW has reciprocal to Westborough CC (great old school course, Old Hawthorne in Columbia and Dalhousie in Cape as well as Chesterfield Tennis, Pool, gym.

1 Like