Roll Call: St. Louis - Match Play Info Post 2739

I would love to join but unfortunately can’t make this Monday work.

We still have one spot open for tomorrow morning

1 Like

@ConfluenceGC I’m a Supercell member but down in Springfield, MO for work. Running a golf tournament tomorrow (6/26) at Highland Springs CC where they play the longest running Korn Ferry event. The place is MINT! I have paid-for spots available on the team I’ve entered if anyone here is up for a drive down to SPR. Hit me on my cell 405-761-2000 if you want to play

1 Like

I know it’s been said before but if you need a fitting hit up @JDSPGA. First class experience out there yesterday for my driver fitting.

6 Likes

Just don’t tell any of the NLU boys you went to Bellerive I’m pretty sure that isn’t allowed around here.

11 Likes

Played this weekend and was just reminded of this post. Joined up with a three-some at Ballwin on Saturday, all three guys were gimme golf members. They seemed like nice enough guys and mentioned the Ballwin Friday night game, apparently they run it as a skins match and they have all the afternoon times from 4:30 on.

Also, Ballwin is in great shape this year even with the lack of rain.

2 Likes

I had no idea Blockie was a St. Louis guy. And he played at Bellerive growing up. Gonna start telling Tron he needs to be on the 2030 Presidents Cup team for the home game models!

6 Likes

A proud Parkway Central Alum. Us Colts know golf

3 Likes

I can’t wait until 2026 when the boys are FORCED to step foot on property for the BMW. At least if they are still partnered with them which I assume will still be the case.

To be fair I agree with a lot of their criticisms of the course but it would at least be a bit better if they’d actually seen the place in person.

7 Likes

I went to high school in St Louis and regularly played matches at Bellerive vs Priory.

I haven’t played there in 20+ years but I don’t really get the hate for the property. It’s real nice. I know it’s an RTJ but he made some great golf courses including Peachtree.

I know that we are in a new golden age but some of the stuff built from 1950 to 1970 is still great. Bellerive would be a great club to be a member at.

Sadly, it’s now more of a Rees these days, hence a lot of the mostly fair criticism.

1 Like

Yeah the Reestoration is what many people hate about it. We also aren’t done…some changes may be happening for the BMW to keep up with the length these guys hit it. Some bunkers may be pushed further down the fairway. Kinda sucks because it’s a course designed to challenge the best but the best these days make it look like a pitch and putt because length simply doesn’t matter anymore.

I’d love for a modern architect to have a look at it and throw some ideas out there but the club simply won’t ever abandon the Rees Jones gang…at least for now. It really is a great piece of property and could be an unreal golf course.

I’ll say this though. The greens in 18 were dogshit. Tiger would have missed the cut by a MILE if that championship was played with current conditions. The greens can be unholdable at times from the rough and firm greens are the courses only defense. We didn’t have that in 18.

4 Likes

I play at Sahalee in Seattle now also a Rees Jones client. I am curious what his clientele will do when he passes.

Thanks for your honesty and perspective on the course. Is it the household name of Rees Jones they can’t let go of or is it his actual design philosophies? It’s clearly a priority to host big tournaments there but I’m surprised the membership wants to give up their course for that time and make design concessions when from what I’m hearing the tee sheet is jam packed.

2 Likes

I think it’s just they want to keep the Jones legacy alive. I don’t sit on the green committee and board meetings so I really can’t say for sure. Going from an RTJ to a Reestoration to a Tom Doak, Gil Hanse or a Rob Collins just isn’t something they want to do. Plus…we are in desperate need of a decade of normalcy and limited interruptions for the memberships sake. At the same time it’s in the mission statement of the club that we host big tournaments so if you join you have to understand that.

Yes, the tee sheet is a nightmare but where else isn’t right now? Covid was the best and worst thing to happen to golf. We are as jam packed as an 18 hole club can possibly get.

Still….even through the course has its architectural flaws im still damn proud to be a golf pro there. I’m also just realistic….

8 Likes

Leaving this here, a roost Major and NIT Qualifier in Des Moines and Ames Iowa second weekend in August:

The forecast looks iffy at the moment but does anyone want to get a round in Saturday? @Nickygifts?

2 Likes

I could be talked into an early morning round

1 Like

That’s where my head was as well. I currently have 8am reserved at Aberdeen for 4 people (3 spots open) but I’m cool with going somewhere else if a different spot sounds better.

1 Like

Count me in

1 Like