Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

I will be there Halloween weekend for a bachelor party. Hopefully it’s up and running by then!

I enjoy the pawleys plantation layout as well

hello lads. Heading into chuck for a wedding weekend of the 15th. Bringing the sticks with me and was looking at some courses near where we’re staying (Adams Run area), and Stono Ferry is the closest. Only have seen and heard good things about it. Any other hidden gems or bang for buck courses around the area?

Plus – if anyone’s free that weekend. Feel free to hit me here. I plan on making a long stay of the vacation to get out of the midwest for a bit.

Stono Ferry is a good track. Probably the best public option in Charleston and if you’re already close by it’s a no-brainer.

1 Like

Like @hanger129 said, Stono is a good track for a good price especially if you are close. My parents live down the street so I played a few times over the summer. Heads up though that it is by no means a hidden gem. If you’re playing on a Saturday, it’s likely going to be crowded. At least it was all summer.

1 Like

Looking to setup a 2012 Spring event somewhere in SC. Check it out and vote on the poll!

3 Likes

WE’RE ROLLING BACK THE BALL

6 Likes

Whoops…haha 2021 baby!

Anyone played Cheraw State Park GC? Looks like pretty highly rated (on GolfAdvisor) by Tom Jackson. Trying to decide between there and the (lower rated) Ross across the street.

I’m down.

DI has member tournaments this weekend (Oct 2&3), Oct 16 - 18, Nov 5 - 7. Let me know the dates and I’ll see if I can make it.

1 Like

Played there a couple of years ago. Awesome clubhouse for a state park. Course was in fine shape but the round took like 5+ hours. Swore I’d never go back.

1 Like

I am down as well! Moved to Charleston last year and got the 2020 Golf Pass and just have been getting familiar with courses in the Lowcountry

1 Like

Going to be playing the Kiawah courses over the next month, any tips or advice for the courses?

Speaking of, does anyone have any knowledge on the 2021? I sent an email to some nondescript address on their “website” asking to be put on the list but didnt get any type of confirmation reply or anything.

I’m headed that direction in late October. I’ll be staying at the campground at the state park for a few days. I’m looking forward to playing the Jackson but I have been told told ignore the Ross across the street. That just seems wrong so I will try to play it unless the Jackson demands a replay

1 Like

Can’t speak about either course, but do try to eat at River’s Edge in Cheraw. It’s run by Mennonites so no chance for a cold beer but the desserts more than make up for it.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any recommendations on the Santee area? Going to a bachelor weekend in Charleston and will be coming from Fort Mill so wanted to see if there was anything along the way that would be worthwhile and affordable. There’s an Ellis Maples course in St. Matthews (Calhoun Hills), and wondered about Orangeburg Country Club, but not sure if I could get on there/justify it.

I did not love “Cougar Point” from a design perspective. The course was in excellent condition but only 3-4 holes are memorable. Holes 4, 5 and 6 are as good as it gets and also, not coincidentally, are the only holes that have a view of Kiawah River. The greens were a bit slow (which was fine actually) but they rolled exceptionally smoothly. The rest of the holes reminded me of most other Florida/South Carolina courses. Add that to the fact the round can cost as much as $270 and it is not the best experience.

2 Likes

Orangeburg is very fun and well conditioned. It’s private, but you could try. They allow reciprocals with a few other clubs, and are very accommodating. Not sure if you were to call directly, but if you have a connect, it’s a great pit stop.

They book through a couple of Santee Golf providers. They quoted me $77 this morning which I’m sure is worth it, but not for my purposes on that day. Going to go #strapped in St. Matthews, I believe.