Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

If you even whisper YHC around here at any time you’re guaranteed interest. Say the word and I’ll move mountains to be available, still haven’t played it.

2 Likes

Can confirm, May River is fantastic.

2 Likes

I am about 1 hr 45 from Mt. Pleasant on the “west coast” of SC. I’m down to work something out.
Golf options are meek over here.

1 Like

May River looks sick. I’ve looked that course up a few times as it is only an hour from here.

Played may river in December. Place was immaculate. Fuck Jack Nicklaus though. Bunkers for days and heavily guarded greens. I thought the course was easy off the tee but the approaches ate me alive. Definitely a second shot golf course.

Of all the the upper class courses in sc that I’ve played, it hated it the most. Wouldn’t pay to do it again.

2 Likes

Welcome! Great group of people here and always a fun time golfing together!

Welcome!
What ever happened to to that course in Furman, SC??

Still there…used to be the best public option in greenville. Havent played it in about 5 years though.

1 Like

played there 3 weeks ago, course was in perfect shape

Furman Golf Course in Greenville is great but I was talking abt the old course in Furman SC near Hampton. Was called penny branch or something like that. People that owned the land were in the golf construction business I think and built their own 18. Wasn’t sure if it’s still there or if anyone was doing anything with it.

Penny Branch was the name. Closed in 2016 apparently owners and management couldn’t agree on operations and called it quits.

1 Like

In on this @hakimimj , back should be healthy by then, happy to be a host as well for some other guests at Snee.

3 Likes

Live in Columbia, but parents live in Hollywood, so I’d be down with joining if you’re inviting out of towners.

As long as it’s not at Charleston National. Played there this past weekend and while I didn’t play awful, the tight holes with houses/OB or water on every hole felt like getting punched in the face every time I teed it up.

2 Likes

I’ve definitely donked a few of those houses on Charleston National in my lifetime. Such an odd vibe there as it goes from house-lined to feeling like LowCountry golf on the last few holes.

1 Like

I’ll join the “Never Nicklaus Design” club.

I donked one of those houses yesterday actually haha. The course is tight but in pretty decent shape. I live near the Muni and been jogging through it during the weeks and the renovation is looking pretty pretty good. Only bad thing about there though is how slow it will be.

1 Like

When will the Reno be done?

Per this article(https://abcnews4.com/news/local/charleston-municipal-golf-course-renovations-are-nearly-complete) in August they said it was 90% finished and would depend on how quickly the grass grew in. They were hoping for early October. It looks really awesome. Check out the Muni Fox on IG(I think it is the architect Troy Miller’s page, but not positive). They have posted some really cool pictures of the renovations

1 Like

I actually like Pawleys Plantation a lot (Nicklaus signature course). But I get the down vibes in general for his designs.

I drove by the Muni last night on the way to dinner and can attest that the greens and bunkering look absolutely sick. I can’t wait for it to open. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it get some attention on the Fried Egg.

1 Like