Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

Aiken has one of the best 36 holes you can play within a mile of each other.

Palmetto for sure. It’s probably one of my favorite golf courses I’ve ever played. I haven’t played it in probably 10 years sadly.

Aiken Golf Club is just an awesome, fun, good course. I’ve always called if the poor mans Palmetto. If you told me it was the only course I could ever play again I’d be happy.

2 Likes

I want to play Palmetto again so bad. Of all the world class places I’ve played (not trying to be an asshole) Palmetto holds a special place.

1 Like

I’m with ya. There are few golf courses I actually dream about playing and that’s one of them.

1 Like

I’ve taken my HS team down to the Southern Cross the last few years- Palmetto Club is an amazing golf course. We also played Aiken GC a few years ago in a different tournament and we won a tournament at Woodside Plantation in ‘17. Aiken is a great golf town with so many awesome people that support junior golf.

1 Like

Yes you’re right! I had completely forgot about woodside. Played a HS tournament there back in 2004.

I played at Cedar Creek a lot during my brief stint in Aiken, I remember it being a long golf course but I was terrible back then.

I played Palmetto first during Southern Cross. Such a special tourney.

1 Like

I’m thinking of trying to qualify for the Palmetto Am. Worst case scenario is you get to play the place in primo condition.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see how this turns out. Only played sunset once back in high school. They’ve hired Chuck Green to run the grounds which should be spectacular.

Hey guys - I’m a bit late to the party! Been following NLU for a couple years now, but haven’t made much time for the Refuge until now.

Live in Simpsonville currently playing to a 3.6. Not a member anywhere but fortunate to play Thornblade a good bit. Do the Golf Channel AmTour which allows access to some decent courses in the area and gives an opportunity to compete a bit which is always fun.

Look forward to getting out there sometime and meeting some fellow SC NLU golfers!

7 Likes

Aight anyone got recommendations in the Charleston area for the week after the Masters? Any hidden gems that I should know about?
I am asking because my boss is going to be around the area and he has already made a tee time after I recommended Palmetto while he is in Augusta so I am trying to do him a solid with the course recs before I drop the fact that I am going to NZ which will be abusing my PTO by about a week.

Best public golf is Kiawah.
Wild Dunes has two good Fazio courses on Isle of Palms.
Patriots Point is conveniently located near downtown, but a forgettable course.
Stono Ferry is the best value for course/conditions/price.
The Muni is the cheapest option, but a great walk.

If you have connections for private access, that’s a different conversation, but plenty of great courses around. I’d say Charleston golf appears to be thriving.

1 Like

CC of Charleston or Yeamans Hall are the only topics if this is the conversation.

Also Charleston Muni back nine is closed for renovation.

1 Like

Charleston National is an ok public option as well.

1 Like

I’d respectfully disagree that those two are the only topics.

Should’ve included Bulls Bay (T_C regrets the error)

1 Like

Hey y’all - long time listener, first time poster here. Currently at a 7.3 and play out of Columbia Country Club in Blythewood.

2 Likes

recommend that he check out Halls Chophouse for a good meal

2 Likes

BBQ?

complete sentence

Agreed - Halls is a great spot if you’re looking for a fancier location

nope, high end steakhouse

my buddy worked there for years…he was a bartender, then a manager, then GM before he decided to sell his house and move to charlotte

its one of the most enjoyable dining experiences i have ever had. the owners are two brother who go out of their way to make you feel like a part of the family and like VIP when you visit

last time i went was during restaurant week and they were packed…i showed up with my girl kind of unannounced and when the owner found out i was friends with his at the time bartender, he went in the back, grabbed a table and chairs for us himself and set us up a spot to eat in the bar area.

the food is top notch but the customer service thats displayed from the owners all the way to the servers has been excellent on each of my visits

3 Likes