Roll Call:Scotland

Hey folks, Glasgow-based long time NLU listener checking in. My home course is Cowglen GC - originally a Braid layout, but I gather it has seen a fair amount of alterations through the years. Was a junior at Strathaven GC, which is also a good track worth a look for anybody exploring Glasgow’s lesser known offerings.

2 Likes

hey guys, heading out to St. Andrews area in mid May from New York and just had a cousin bail on the trip, leaving me with an extra spot for a May 19 mid day round at Carnoustie(pre pay no refund). If anyone would be interested in jumping on, it’d be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hey man,

I would love to take you up on that offer.

Also happy to get you a return game at East Renfrewshire (south of Glasgow) if you have space in your itinerary.

How was it?

just posted as a new topic, check it out!

Hi - U.S. citizen here studying abroad in Glasgow for the year starting in September. I’m 29, which is also more or less my handicap, unfortunately – looking to lower that considerably and play as many rounds as I can while I’m in Scotland.

Any recommends / munis in Glasgow or nearby to check out? I know the big names, but curious for the bargains / places I can play 3-4 times a week. Cheers.

Hey - your timing for the Glasgow City Council munis couldn’t be much worse as they recently announced a bunch of funding cuts which could lead to each of them closing.

If you have access to a car, there’s more than a few cheaper options within driving distance of the city.

Closest to home is the Playsport Heritage Links 9-holer which isn’t terrible for what it is: a golf course beside a retail park https://playsportgolf.co.uk/golf-course/. Full driving range and golf shop on-site too.

If you can, you absolutely need to play the 3 municipals over at the Troon Links. http://www.golfsouthayrshire.com/play/the-courses/troon-links/. In terms of ‘public’ golf (which is kind of a grey line rather than a black/white one in Scotland), dunno if I’ve played anything better that’s strictly a muni.

Obviously there’s hundreds of clubs around the West coast and Glasgow if you’re wanting to pay a little extra for a time.

Hit me up if you’re struggling for a game, I’m a member at Cowglen which is one of the Glesga clubs and happy to have a hit with a fellow Refugee.

The RACDG GB&I chapter has about 4/5 members in the Central Belt of Scotland (including another US student studying at Edinburgh), plus 2/3 in the NE of England who are close by. Might be worth jumping into the chapter to get to know them. Plus I’m thinking a wee Scotland trip for a Scottish contingent meet up soonish might be a good idea.

1 Like

Hi guys, I’m due to be in Glasgow on business mid-October. Probably going to have a spare day or two (midweek or weekend not evident yet), planning on taking clubs and would love to grab a game at any links tracks if anyone is around? Let me know.

1 Like

Hey man, I would be available for this if you want a game. I am based in Glasgow and surrounding so could see if we could organise or failing that a game at my home course (parkland) would be available.

Hit me up!

Hey man,
If you are new to the area I would be more than happy to sign you up for a game at my home course? Cawder Golf club just outside of Glasgow. Hit me up if you are free sometime and we can arrange!

Del

Sounds good! details still being sorted out but will let you know when dates get finalised.

1 Like

Hey, sorry I missed this in the summer.

I live in Glasgow and am a member of East Renfrewshire.

Happy to get a game in before the winter kicks in.

DM me.

Nice im doing the top100 too. Ive managed 46 so far :grin:

Adding my name to the roll call. Member at East Kilbride GC. Love playing new tracks. Anyone want to play at EK. Dm me and we can arrange a date

Awesome, will do! Thinking of getting a winter membership for South Ayrshire, which would include the Troon munis.

I’m in City Centre without a car, though, and finding it tough to find a driving range nearby. Is Crow Wood any good?

Just played East Kilbride on Wednesday – loved it. Would definitely take you up on that if you’re keen.

Hey man, definitely. DMing you now.

Yea no problem. Glad you enjoyed

So guys it’s looking like I will be in Glasgow mid October for 10 days. My availability for golf is looking currently to be 15th October and 19th October (Tuesday and Saturday).

Anyone around for a round? I was doing some brief googling of local links and Glasgow Gailes looked like a steal at £~45 midweek for maybe the Tuesday? No idea where to play at weekend yet.

Any ideas would be great!

Cheers,