Roll Call: Rhode Island

Hi all. Life long rhode islander here just ordered some new Callaway clubs a week ago. Waiting is always the worst part. Any reccomendations on which course I should hit first when the time comes? I have played Cranston CC, Fenner Hill, Crystal Lake, Foster CC, and Exeter in the past. Considering just taking a fun once through goddard park to get the feel for my new clubs. What are the conditions like out there?

1 Like

Meadowbrook and NK in addition to Cranston and Jamestown would be a good lineup to jump back in with.

Played Metacomet this morning as a single. Place was immaculate and no one was there. Maybe 10-12 golfers on the whole property. Whipped through in about 2.5 hours. Wish this place was going to be around for a while. Such a great track and layout.

According to their website, they’re allowing out of staters as of June 1st too. I’m going to try to play one of the next few weekends.

1 Like

Green complexes are so sick. Few holes on back 9 go up and back but have lots of elevation change, and none of the greens are the same in terms of design. Greens pretty pure.

1 Like

Played 9 at pinecrest this morning, place was sick. Greens were in great shape and played pretty firm despite the rain. Some really cool greens cool, really enjoyable experience.

1 Like

Never played there but the flyovers on their website have me intrigued. Some interesting designs for a tiny little nine-holer.

My buddy was just telling me this place is a gem. May have to hit it next week. Anyone down to peg it up?

:raising_hand_woman:t2: Pending a call Monday I’m sure I can make something work

1 Like

That place is super fun. Definitely a gem. And no slouch at only 2900 yards

2 Likes

Had an empty afternoon yesterday so I hopped over for a quick 9. What a delight of a course. Cool little design for a place so cheap, and it was in perfect shape.

1 Like

Didn’t get a chance to check it out yet. Seems like everyone has the same reaction to it though.

I played Metacomet on Saturday for the first (and unfortunately, probably the only) time. It was great. Perversely, it was the kind of course where I’d love to be a member.

It tops out at less than 6,500 yards, but as a very tight par-70 plays surprisingly long. Both par-3s on the back are over 200 yards, and there five par-4s over 400 yards. Most of the shorter par-4s are either tight or have sharp doglegs, both of which make driver off the tee difficult.

The greens were firm, pretty slope-y, and very fast. I had them stimping at an 11 to start the day and closer to 12 by the end of our round. I shot a 77, but with a couple three putts I lost probably half my shots to par on the greens.

It’s definitely a place I would try to play every so often if they were still going to be around.

1 Like

Played there yesterday again. Place is so legit. Banged the front up with a 41, but had 9 pars on the back for a 34 in. Love the layout in the back. Greens were perfect and no one was out there. Need to get a Refuge gathering going there…

I definitely want to get back there before it closes. Need another crack at those tricky greens.

For sure.

I’m from CT and it is now my only golf goal of 2020 to get out to Metacomet before it is lost to history.

Should plan to get there twice. It’s WORTH it. Greens can eat you alive first time around.

Hey so I have a 1:50 tee time on Friday at Metacomet. Was jumping in here to offer the one remaining spot to anyone. Are you free to jump in?

Thanks Robbie, but I can’t make it this Friday. This stupid thing that I’m thankful that I still have called a job doesn’t always cooperate with what I want to do

1 Like