Roll Call: Rhode Island

Up in RI for the week. Looking to take my old man out this week to play. Any recs on public tracks other than Newport National? Staying in Narragansett and willing to drive

Grew up going to the beach in Acoaxet/ Little Compton. Always wanted to play Sakonnet. Had relatives who are members at Acaoxet which is an interesting 9 hole track with great scenery. I know Acoaxet is MA but it might as well be RI for all I care.

1 Like

Seconded on not getting the word out in LC/WPH . It’s everything that makes New England great and I’m stoked it still hasn’t been “discovered “ by the masses. Been lucky to have spent a few weeks up there most summers of my life.

The lack of infrastructure compared to The Cape , ACK, MV, Aquidneck island Hamptons etc will hopefully ensure it remains how it’s always been

@Clarkebar how did you like Metacomet? That was one of my home courses while at Brown. Very fond memories of the place. Opening stretch is as good as any

Enjoyed it. Not going to find much better for $70.

I was drawn to the middle of the course if my memory is right.

The first 5 holes were kind of overshadowed by the outrageous mosquito swarms around the pond/woods. Rub of the green…

Some great greens.

I think Wannamoisset is my favorite in the state … but have yet to play Newport CC, Misquamicut or shelter harbor.

1 Like

Ah… I can imagine. I never played Metacomet in the summer, only school season, so bugs weren’t an issue. But how cool of a risk-reward hole was #2, the par 5 around the lake?

Wannamoisset is awesome but Newport CC is the king of RI and Sakonnet GC is just an incredibly good course with the best greens in the state.

1 Like

I need to play it again. I enjoyed the opening stretch of holes but recall the last 2/3 of the course being somewhat forgettable. Also, was an early season round so the greens weren’t firing. Not a fair shake.

Played Newport National today. Course was in good shape and a fun track. Idk about the $125 price tag but it was a good time. Can anyone confirm that Metacomet has public times? I know it’s private but they also have times available on their website to book.

It’s public now. And better than Newport national. $70. BN was the state’s best public option, until now. Thanks be to Faxon.

1 Like

This is great news. Was confused about it formerly being private and what happened after Faxon bought it. Have heard great things. Newport National was good but nothing special or memorable. Got out to Pawtucket CC last week and had a great time. Staff was great and actually met one of the owners and couldn’t have been more welcoming to 3 guests.

1 Like

Metacomet is really good. 2-5 is as good a stretch there is in Rhode Island.

1 Like

#2 at Metacomet is as good as a risk/reward hole as there is in all of New England

The approach on #4 is so fun

Man I miss that course… Take me back to college

1 Like

The bunker short right of 2 makes that hole so good. Gives you a reason to push your tee shot further down that first strip of fairway.
The tee shot on 5 is also cool too because of how differently it plays depending on wind.

2 Likes

Seeing you guys talk about Wannamoisset, Newport CC and Sakonnet amongst others in RI, really makes me antsy to find my way into the private course circuit. Only have a connection (iffy one at best) to Wanna though… and even with that, I’ve yet to make it there. Smh.

With you on this. My future mother in law has a friend that is a member at Wanna and I’ve been working my way towards that play for about 2 years now. From what I’ve gathered Newport CC is next to impossible to get unless you come from old money.

1 Like

Check out Thousand Greens. They have a few members at Wanny.

I’m happy to host at Warwick CC with some Refugees if the timing works.

1 Like

Currently 90 minutes into a round at Triggs and we have finished 3 holes. Someone come shoot me

2 Likes

I’ll be there before you hit the back 9!

1 Like

Made it to 7. Only 3 groups on the tee!