Roll Call: Pittsburgh and Western PA

I’ve only ever been to Margaux for drinks. Is their coffee/bakery good?

Coffee is good and the biscuit breakfast sandwich is money

1 Like

Where ya playing while in town?

1 Like

Fox Chapel and Oakmont

7 Likes

Nice, haven’t played Fox Chapel since the reno/restoration. Enjoy Oakmont, played it last year and will say it’s the most fair fun test of golf I’ve ever played

Hit them well!!

1 Like

i’m pretty terrified of oakmont. are the greens as hard in normal conditions as they say?

i’m hoping our oakmont round spills over into dinner there thursday but it’s a true who’s to say situation. i’ll just be trying to fit in.

1 Like

Just listen to your caddy. They know the greens really well. Saved me many times. The guy saw lines I had no idea were there haha.

any oakmont “must haves” at the turn stand or bar and grill or whatever? drink/food/etc?

Good luck keeping your pro shop merch bill under $250. My Dad and I did DAMAGE during the US Am last summer.

You should be scared of the greens but in a fun way. A few years ago, I went to mark a ball and leaned on my putter. The greens are so pure/tight that it slipped out and I came very, very, very close literally faceplanting on the first green. So sick

2 Likes

So the interesting thing about the greens is that Poa - like a 1000 different strains. They usually don’t ramp them up until later in the season but they’ll still be pure

1 Like

They’re energy bars actually are great at the turn

1 Like

SOME do. My guy told me “18 inches” on the first hole. I played about 12 feet of break from 40 feet and my ball stopped half a roll short of dropping in the middle of the cup. :slight_smile:

In some ways, the putting is easier there… because you know which direction a putt is going to break. And you’ll see why many of us northerners think the moaning about “poa” is just that: moaning. It can be a really good surface.

2 Likes

Any guis in NEOH interested in meeting up to watch the Masters Friday night? The re-air comes on almost immediately after the broadcast. Thinking TopGolf. Say what you will about hitting balls there, but the sports bar area upstairs is pretty legit.

Edit: DOH! Wrong thread sorry. I’ll see myself out. Goes without saying all are welcome.

No need to be terrified at all, the vibe and mystique of the place is way more intimidating than the course. I went for the first time last year and the member that took me insisted on playing the US Open tees and I can’t tell you how much shorter it plays than the actual yardage with as firm as the fairways always are. The greens are fast for sure but none are extremely severe, they’re all very subtle. Listen to your caddie, he’s going to tell you to hit clubs from distances you’d never think possible and give you lines that you’d never pick yourself, but trust it (I had 110 into number 1 out of the left rough and my guy told me to hit a 65 yard pitch into the fairway, ball rolled to 10 feet from the flag)! Once you just get comfortable with putting full trust in your caddie you’re good to go. Enjoy it, it’s a very special place!

3 Likes

Is there a western pa roost?

1 Like

We’re trying to get one established…those a few of us in the Google sheet. Need to get the word out - though it’d ever stop raining we might be able to actually get out to play

2 Likes

I signed up on the google sheet. Thanks

How was it?

Not going until later next month!

Not from Pittsburgh but I am going to be living there over the summer with my gf, as I will be working an internship there. Would love to tee it up with some cool people. Lemme know

4 Likes