Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

@pushdraw either of you played any of the Desert Mountain tracks?

If you got room still. I’m in.

1 Like

I’m in as well if there’s room

2 Likes

Sounds good, both you guys are in

2 Likes

Nope … beautiful courses but never had the chance

No worries, our pro set up a couple tee times for us but was looking for recs on which courses. I think we landed on Geronimo and Cochise.

1 Like

Have not played, don’t think you can go wrong (as far as I know)

1 Like

My issue with Quintero isn’t necessarily that you are going to lose a lot of balls, anyone spraying it will lose a lot of balls on any desert course. I don’t know that Quintero is narrower than others and TBH it has fewer forced carries than many. My issue with that course is it is so damn hard even when you aren’t losing balls. Just that Rees Jones penal golf, with deep bunkers, difficult greens and every single hole bringing a “hit it here or else” mentality. There’s no let up, no quirky fun holes, no gettable holes, no short par 4 where you might hope to get one back. You can make double or triple there even when you don’t lose your ball.

But, hey, it’s real pretty.

1 Like

This is extremely well written (though I also got tired of losing balls on even fairly well-hit shots - a few par 4s on the back mind come to mind with this).

When I have family or friends visit, I’m still a huge fan of Dinosaur Mountain. It’s not long, nor is it all that penal except in a few areas, but it is a blast to hit it around there for an afternoon, especially when your family has only ever known fairly flat Midwestern golf. (to be fair, I do not know what it costs peak season to play there - I’ve always played it for under $75, so that might give me a more positive opinion, too).

Added note - looking to play on Saturday at Talking Stick O’odham at 3:17pm. Up to three other slots available. Would anyone be interested in joining?

1 Like

You would have to pay me $100 to play Dinosaur Mountain. The first hole gives you a great taste of what the course is like, and it’s not one I ever want to play again.

1 Like

I haven’t played Dinosaur Mtn since doing so as a visitor to Phoenix in, I think, 1998.

Have lived here for 20 years and not felt the need to go back so that gives you an idea of what I thought of it.

1 Like

Is that fourth slot still open? If so, I think I’ll take it (will be able to confirm this evening).

2 Likes

Yep, consider yourself our 4th

2 Likes

Ok great! Confirming I’ll be there.

Anybody playing this weekend and have an opening?

Planning on playing sometime Sunday midday/afternoon using troon card. I fly back into town around 9am, but won’t book until I land (flying American). If you’re flexible and can wait until day of, I should have an open spot.

I’m flexible - sounds good, keep me posted!

Southern Dunes had several times available last time I checked which was anout 3 hours ago

1 Like

all good tracks there js. ive played 5 of 7. all jack nicholas signature courses. very cool facility.

1 Like

Anyone looking for a game this weekend? I haven’t booked anything but it’ll be the last weekend I can play for probably a month so trying to squeeze in as much as I can. Let me know and I can look at spots based on interest. Initial thought was Talking Stick.