Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

I have never played that one.

I did consider adding Arizona Traditions, however.

1 Like

I would like to nominate Quarry Pines in Tucson as another one of the worst in the state

1 Like

the Grand is without a doubt my least favorite course in the valley as of now. Just a tough scene with how much I play it given how close it is to me. lol

1 Like

Hey everyone—fellow refugee here from the Oklahoma area. Gonna be in town august 3-7 for a bachelor party. A lot of the guys coming in the group aren’t necessarily “golfers” so we’re going to play Boulders and Quintero on Friday/Saturday. Relatively cheap courses that won’t beat them up too much.

I’m going out a day early with the bachelor who is also a member with me at the Golf Club of Oklahoma. Looking for recommendations on courses or if anyone has any connects at a good private course? I’ve played talking stick, we ko pa, and southern dunes. Looking to see what you guys think.

Our pro is making some phone calls to Mirabel, Deser Mountain, and maybe a couple others. We’re probably gonna try to loop 36 before everyone else gets into town that evening.

Boulders and Quintero are not two Phoenix courses I think of when wanting not to beat up some occasional golfers lol … bring a shit ton of balls

1 Like

They have combo tees at both courses have ratings of ~ 70/135 or less, I don’t think that’ll be too terrible for them. The tees we play at our club are 74.3/143 and the tips are 76.6/146.

Quintero and Boulders are good courses for less than $100, regardless of difficulty, I’d rather do that than make em pay $189 at Troon North.

Kokopelli
Superstition Springs
Biltmore - Links
Arizona Grand

I concur with everyone who mentioned AZ Grand and Kokopelli on the worst courses list. I will add Ahwatukee CC. I’m biased growing up in Ahwatukee but it is truly the only course I have ever sworn off from returning to. Truly a miserable place.

1 Like

Kokopelli is a disgrace to anyone who has ever held a club.

Also anyone wanna play this weekend?
Was thinking GCU or Talking Stick Piipash

1 Like

I’m game to play - either course is fine by me, and both Saturday and Sunday work.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t put a whole lot of weight in to slope / rating…I know you said you’ve played out here, but it more so boils down to hitting a ball sideways and it is lost / you’re likely not finding it…both of these will beat you up bad in this regard. At the end of the day though, if everybody is aware they might lose 6-10 balls, and it won’t take away from the experience…do it

When you’re saying $100 for those vs. $189 for Troon North…that is a no brainer

If losing balls would take away from the experience, I would highly recommend something like Talking Stick O’odham for the bachelor party…very generous fairways, and mostly playable from the crap minus a few boundary holes…but at the same time, tons of fun and a good challenge for the “golfers” of the group. Maybe TPC Champions for day 2? Also has the added benefit of cutting down on driving time

For you and the bachelor - I think you’re on the right path - see if any of those privates come through…but the places you’ve already played and widely regarded as our collective top 3 in the area (WKP - Saguaro, Southern Dunes, Talking Stick)

1 Like

Yeah, I think most of these guys understand they may need 12-18 golf balls. It’s one thing to pay $90 and lose some balls on a tough course. It’s another thing to pay closer to $200 to do that.

Any recs on the private courses that may allow unaccompanied play?

Unfortunately, no, sorry…if you get somewhat desperate, let me know…I’d be happy to offer my place but it is full of caveats (weekdays, after 2pm, will be 110+, lots of maintenance planned this summer, did I mention it will be hot?) but Annika did shoot 59 there!

1 Like

I appreciate it! We played in Las Vegas last June and I believe it was around 108 or so. It honestly wasn’t as bad as I imagined it being.

How do you like MV?

I love it

I got a really good deal, it is close to the house, and easily walkable…really no complaints from me

Is that really good deal still around? lol … I live close and have thought about joining

Nope! I got in before the COVID boom and they closed it up but allowed us to keep our deals (for now…)

I hope to join full member, it is just a big jump $-wise, and the flex deal fits my schedule / playing times perfectly

1 Like

May be willing to join a Talking Stick Piipaash round this weekend if you’re willing to stick to PDP-eligible times (after 11, more times after 2:30)

Joining the discussion - haven’t been subjected to all that much terrible golf, making Legacy and Talking Stick my go-tos each year (playing almost always from April - September)

Kokopelli strikes me as one that belongs on a “Worst of the Region” list. I didn’t mind Coyote Lakes, but I suppose I played one of the best rounds of my life and that colors my opinion a bit. Stonecreek is a bit of a “tough scene.” I frankly don’t care for Quintero, but that’s mostly because it is horrendously penal, especially on some of those holes on the back nine. If I have visitors down here, I take them to Dinosaur Mountain or Ak-Chin for less and arguably a lot more fun.

1 Like

Hi everyone - I booked a foursome at Encanto 18 at 9:20am on Saturday, June 11. There are three spots open so let me know if you are interested in joining.