Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

Thanks to all suggestions, played Ambiente today, nothing amazing but greens were really smooth and it was a perfect handshake opening course. Went out to eat tonight in Old Town, hit some bars, and are currently at the District. Great people watching, but we are way too old. Any suggestions for something similar but for the over 40 crowd for the next two nights? Downtown phoenix maybe?

Also 3 of us playing at troon pinnacle at 1:25 tomorrow and 10:20 Saturday at Boulders North. One spot open on the booking page for each if anyone wants to join.

There are some spots on 7th street in Phoenix that offer good food/drink for the 40+ crowd. I suggest Mora Italian for dinner, and there are some bars within walking distance.

Cave Creek has a decent scene for people our age, if you decide to stay up there after golf.

IF you go to Old Scottsdale again, try The Cornish Patsy. Bit of a hole in the wall, but it’s a fun scene. Stiff cocktails, and I’m told a fine beer selection. Music is definitely for the 40+ crowd.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch!

Does tomorrow afternoon work?

Shoot, forgot to follow up. Unfortunately no longer available this weekend.

All good

Hoping to play Wednesday morning this week if anyone wants to join. Haven’t picked a spot yet, will prob stay closer to home (north Scottsdale) if I can’t get a partner

Anyone available to play Thursday or Friday?

Would love to get a round in with some fellow sickos.

Hey I grabbed 2 spots at Cave Creek GC at 936 am on Thursday. Feel free to join

2 Likes

Works for me. I will take it!

1 Like

Hey Fellas, looking for a little confirmation here or input on a 36 hole day and what courses to play.

I am going to meet a buddy out in Phoenix to join him in the final leg of his cross country drive back to SD in a few weeks. Him and his gf broke up, so he’s moving back to SD from the mid-west, I figured I could join him for some g along the way.

Getting into PHX Friday night, going to play 36 on Saturday, then drive Sunday.

Currently booked for We Ko Pa-Cholla at 8am then Papago at 2pm (Already well aware of the heat situation we could run into at 2pm, but we’ll deal with that as we get there)

I guess my question is, are we in good shape with these 2 courses if you wanted a 36 hole day? or is there another course option we should heavily consider in the area instead of one of these 2? I have never played in the area so I’m totally unfamiliar, figured I could toss it in here for some feedback.

Cheers :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Those two courses are very solid options, but I can’t speak on Papago’s current conditions, but imagine it’ll be quite firm.

Are you coming in from the south via I-10 or from the north down off I-40?

2 Likes

I’m coming from the Bay Area so I will take firm & fast whenever I can, will it be in enjoyable shape? No clue what conditties are like as it starts to heat up down there.

tbh, I am not sure his route in, but he’ll be coming from Albuquerque and we have an airbnb in Old Town for the 2 nights there.

1 Like

Kind of just put those pieces together, that you won’t be driving in with him…so doesn’t really matter

Those courses are good choices

1 Like

Those courses are very excellent choices.

You can opt for 36 at We-Ko-Pa if you prefer. Add Saguaro, which is an absolutely phenomenal course. Save yourself the mid round drive and you can get some food and colds one at the clubhouse.

3 Likes

Papago is only going to be open as a full course for a few more weeks. Temp greens on a few holes starting in June most likely. Not sure when you are coming down…

2 Likes

Plan is to play on Saturday, 6/4. I’ve seen & heard papago is sweet and a great value, but this is all just hearsay from social media over the years. If we’ll find a better course/experience elsewhere, happy to explore that. or if Papago won’t be worth our time, would like to find another non-resort course to play.

1 Like

Well, wish I could tell you more solid info but the whole Papago thing is very shady with very little public info (which as a muni sucks). All I know is the course will be good that prior weekend, the 28th and 29th.

Okay so after hearing this, did a quick check on recent golfnow reviews to confirm it is not in desirable condition. We may try to set up just 36 at Wekopa to play the other course, unless there is a good weekend afternoon value round out there?