Roll Call: Orlando, FL Golfers

That is understandable! Thanks for letting me know.
I will grab a couple rounds on GolfNow.

Let me know what you are deciding between, and I can tell you what rate is good vs course conditions.

Right now I am looking at Bella Colina and Shingle Creek. I am trying to talk myself out of just going back to Grand Cypress. :grin:

Bella Collina is on Golf now for $150. Is it worth that price? $115 for Shingle Creek and about the same for Grand Cypress. That is a little higher than we normally pay in October, but I am guessing this is peak season around there.

Both courses will treat you right.
At Bella, you will have access to the Clubhouse facilities (whirlpool Jacuzzi, showers, locker room, etc) which you will want to take advantage of, great golf service, range balls, etc. Since the course is mostly private, it wont be as crowded and the round will be quicker. Nothing like it in Florida.

Shingle Creek you also will be treated well, but since its a “resort course” you may get paired up with some golfers who don’t play often. Not a huge fan of the redesign they did a few years back (made the course narrower and harder which results in longer rounds) but the conditions will be some of the best in CFLA.

I would make a road trip up to The Deltona Club. It’s about 25 minutes north of Maitland. Sick layout that’s rugged kind of like a mix of Pinehurst #2 and Streamsong. Still my favorite track in town since I’m not a huge fan of Parkland style layouts.

across i4 in Deland is Victoria Hills, which I would say is closer to your Pinehurst style (large sandy areas and pine trees)
Had a chance to play this week and the greens were the best in Volusia County (outside of LPGA)

Played Victoria many times. Great track and you are correct it does have a Pinehurst feel. I would say it feels similar to their other courses rather than number 2.

1 Like

lets get a recap!!!

Oh man. Where do I start! Had 2 great days of golf. Booked a morning round at Bella Collina on Saturday, and start to finish was one of the best golf experiences I have ever had.
The course was set up for Nick Faldo’s Major Champions Inivtational Am tourney. Junior golfers from all over the world were checking in, practicing, playing, etc. Greens were FAST but super pure. As I finished on 9, the head greens keeper watched me putt, and then chatted with me for a while about the course. He told me that I just missed Hideki Matsuama. Apparently he is spending time there to prep for the Masters, since it has similar style green and fairway undulations as Augusta. Nick Faldo’s GF apparently flew in via chopper as I was finishing my round. And of course, the club house was out of this world. Ate lunch at the bar, and chatted with folks from all over the world that were there to watch their kids play. I will be back for sure, well worth the $150 in my opinion.
Day two was at Shingle Creek. Not BC level, but still a very nice course. Almost played like a links style at spots, with very tightly mowed collection areas and aprons. I was playing great golf as well, so made the round even more enjoyable.

1 Like

great to hear.

My big take-away from BC, was every par 5 had difficult lay-ups where you really had to get your numbers right.
Rumor is they are moving to full-on private soon, now that more homes in the neighborhood will support the membership.

If anyone is interested, Winter Park is hosting its City Am, May 6-7.

1 Like

Heading to Winter Park for as much golf as possible Friday and Saturday. Weather looks like it should actually cooperate . Anyone know how Dubsdread is looking? Open to all suggestions that are affordable and pretty forgiving. Would love to play the 9 but my buddies probably won’t even consider walking. (Two 10’s and a 20 handicap making the trip)

Anybody been to this DriveShack place yet?

Played Dubsdread about 4-6 weeks ago. Course was in good shape then. Hopefully remains the same. My biggest complaint with Dubsdread is pace of play always feels a little slow. Rain may scare some people off so it may not be an issue this weekend.

Will be in town next week. Staying Kissimmee off Poinciana. Anybody have recommendations? I’ve seen a few options but curious what courses haven’t punched greens lately and are in overall good condition.

Just played WP9 for the first time on Saturday. Loved it. The greens are sick and I thought the course overall was in really great shape. Definitely will be getting back out there, 35 minute drive is worth it.

1 Like

Heading to WP9 tomorrow around Noon with the wife to play. Not sure if anyone’s going to be in the area but come join up if ya want.

Looking for a game this sunday 7th of Okt in the Orlando/Kissimmee area.
Anyone up for a round? Nothing too expensive, on a budget since I`m on vacation from Norway.
Wife is going shopping so just me golfing, 11HC.
Hit me up here or email me at stig.reiersen@gmail.com

Have a 739a tee time at Grand Cyprus - New Course on Monday Feb 11. Anyone is welcome to join.

2 Likes

Super jealous. I don’t live in the area, but have played this course 5 or 6 times. Every time I have a trip to Orlando booked, I find myself looking forward to this course the most. Have fun.

1 Like

Oh great! This is my first time playing and now I’m even more psyched. Thanks Paul.