Roll Call: Oregon

heading up to Portland next month for a few days and looking for some non golf related thing to do that we might not have stumbled across thus far in our trip planning

got a favorite winery or brewery? how about a must hit dispensary? favorite place to eat? food truck pod or whatever? coffee shop? park to visit?

thanks in advance for any feedback!

1 Like

Couple of suggestions:

Winery(in town): enso winery

Brewery: Away days, little beast

Dispensary: it really depends on what type of experience you are looking for but the best IMO in the smallest area are along NE sandy and along se Belmont

Food cart pod: the Mississippi pod with Prost is very solid

Dining/ experience: hang out on se/ne 28th Ave between stark and sandy. tons of shops, restaurants, bars and breweries to try in a very short walk.

Urban park/ hike: if you are up for the hike this one is a lot of fun with amazing views at the top. Pittock Mansion Hike - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington

Hope you enjoy your time in Portland

1 Like

My advice would be to leave Portland. Go to the mountains or the coast or Central Oregon.

2 Likes

I just booked a family trip out to Gearhart for a week in August. Iā€™m from Michigan but my wife is from Portland, so itā€™s a trip with her whole family. I am looking to get some golf in - I know about Gearhart from Tourist Sauce/Crash Course. What else should I try to play? I see Highland is a little 9 holer in Gearhart and Manzanita looks interesting a bit further south. Astoria is a private club from what I can tell? Do they have any sort of unaccompanied guest policy or any other angle to try to play that? I didnā€™t see much else within 45 minutes or so, but let me know if there are any other ideas! I will have my wife and kids with me, so even a pitch and putt or par 3 course would be great.

2 Likes

Hey Oregon Nesticles, hope all is well in the beautiful PNW. I will be heading up from Phoenix for a week (6/12-6/19). Going with my sister and parents to see some family mainly and staying in the Portland area. They are all non-golfers so places like Bend are too far away for me to take off by myself, unfortunately. Iā€™m thinking Gearhart is a possibility though as I know weā€™ll all want to go to the coast for a day or two. Any suggestions around Portland (could maybe drive as far south as Eugene) are appreciated. Scrolled through the thread but would love to hear anyoneā€™s thoughts. Would also love to play with any and all of you folks so let me know if youā€™d want to join as itā€™ll just be myself. Thanks all in advance! Looking forward to playing non-desert golf a bit.

Howdy, Manzanita and Highlands are must-visitsā€¦ Simple and fun. Gearhart you could play 3X and never get bored. Astoria is private, so youā€™ll need to know a member. You could buzz down and play Salashanā€¦ old school, but fun. Always could buzz back to Portland and play here too. Pumpkin Ridge has a public course and that wouldnā€™t be 1.5 hr drive to play. Enjoy. August will be awesome here.

2 Likes

Hey folks! Iā€™ll be out in Oregon for approximately 6 weeks this summer - looking for any good recommendations of where to play!
Spots include:
McMinnville
Eugene
Bend
Oceanside
Astoria
Diamond Lake

Any good hidden gems around these areas? Somewhat familiar with Bend/Eugene but not really the others - any ideas appreciated and hope to link up with some Refugees out there this summer!

2 Likes

1 Like

Headed to Bandon from FL 8-5 to 8-9, curious if there are any restrictions on restaurants or other restrictions I should know about? Tips also appreciated. Thank you!

It is busy family season Hooker
Probably no restrictions and all restaurants open by then.

Hey Oregonians, I am planning on playing Gearhart on Sunday June 13th. Would book this Sunday. Just a single rn but would love to play with some fellow Refugees if any of yā€™all would like to join. I hit up the folks who will be up there for the Clambake but didnā€™t get much interest since they will have already played it that weekend. Let me know if thereā€™s any interest. Cheers!

Iā€™m locked in with a small group for Bar Runā€™s preview play on 7/10. Canā€™t wait to see the course, pics look very promising!
https://www.barrungolf.com/

2 Likes

Iā€™m heading down solo on 7/20! Place looks cool as hell.

Hi there everyone. I need some help. We were in Oregon last month and my 6 year old son had a hole in one at Mcmenamins Edgefield, but I lost the scorecard.

Does anyone live in east Portland and is willing to mail me up a scorecard from the Pub West 20 Course? Iā€™m happy to pay for shipping, golf and a round of drinks via venmo.

2 Likes

Have you tried calling McMenamims? Theyā€™re usually great at helping out with situations like this.
Also, out at Bar Run for preview play! Just on the first hole but the greens look great

1 Like

Yes I called three different times and each time I was told they could not help me

Iā€™m booked for preview play in August and would to hear your thoughts on the course

But also how was the preview play set up?

What did you bring for the day?

What did you wish you brought for the day?

Did you walk or ride or both?

What was the standout hole or green ?

1 Like

Course was great, it was in great shape for still growing in (fairways were a bit long but I expected that) and had some great holes. Itā€™s not going to blow your socks off if youā€™re a big GCA guy but i thought it was very well designed and the greens were all very fun / challenging. It was a course I would be happy to play daily and it kept me entertained for the whole day.

They have a large concrete pad and awning/tent set up with a temp building as a shop. We got a few freebies consisting of a hat or t shirt, ball mark repairer, sleeve of logo balls, a western birch tee and were offered donuts and coffee. They had a bunch of drinks / sodas available (21+ drinks are extra though you get 2 tokens for them. Great selections of drinks, but Ok to BYOB). They had tables set up under the tent so you could take a break in between loops, you pass it after your 7th and 10th hole. The owners were very hands on and were fabulous hosts. We went off at 9:10 and played until 7:10, just loop it until you donā€™t want to anymore!

Didnā€™t bring anything special, just plenty of sunscreen. They supplied lunch, some snacks, and plenty of drinks so we didnā€™t feel like we lacked anything.

I wish I would have brought more balls as on the later loops I was trying to get as aggressive as possible and rinsed a few. Water is very in play on 5 of the 10 holes, though the landing areas ok the water are plenty generous. The water does pinch some landing areas so keep that in mind. Not the best day to only have 5 balls in the bag.

I rode as I was with my wife and 2 friends that wanted to ride. It was nice to be able to get out of the sun as well, it was 98 degrees so walking would have been a bit grueling with the sun beating down. Course definitely would have been an easy walk though.

The 3rd hole (will be the 14th hole) is a cape style par 5, long on the card but reachable as the bend right is dramatic. Very generous fairway with some fescue mounds in the landing area and the water pinching for the longer hitters. The very back tees werenā€™t marked as they are having some bird problems but we got to hit shots from there and itā€™s a sweet driving hole from back there.

Best green was likely the 7th (will be the 18th hole) as it had some awesome major undulation and some sneaky small slopes. Honorable mention to the long and skinny green on the 9th (will be the 11th hole) that had some Spyglass 4th hole vibes to it.

4 Likes

Anyone want to get a game in this Saturday?

Hey Allā€¦

I became a member out at Pumpkin a few months ago. If you are making your way out here and it aligns with my free time would love to get members of the Refuge out.

7 Likes