Roll Call: Orange County, CA (Long Beach, Inland Empire etc too!)

Jerry has left CC and now works for Trackman. I personally had a good fitting experience with him as well.

1 Like

Hi all,

This is pretty random, and not sure if it makes sense to post here (I am newish to the refuge, and not familiar with LA and area)… but is there anyone here, who would be interested in some tickets to the LPGA event this weekend at Wilshire CC? I was offered some tickets, but I can’t attend, and just hoping to help connect someone here with them. Ideally someone with some kids/juniors who are interested golf. If so, please let me know and I will see if I can get you connected with the tickets. Thanks.

Hey all, have some tickets for the US Open this upcoming weekend at LACC.

Cross posting here with my TSR post. Let me know if you’re interested, selling for Sat/Sun (2 tickets each day).

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/silk-road-4-0-bag-secured/83622/7786?u=zikeid

Anyone have a Long Beach area course recomendation?

El Dorado or Skylinks. Big Rec should fire their Super - he is turning that place into a dog track.

1 Like

Hi all, Just moved to Seal Beach from Australia but moving toward Laguna Beach in the next month.
Haven’t played for a month or so but definitely keen on playing a few rounds.
I’m no course snob but wouldn’t mind meeting some people that know the better courses to play and maybe playing 18 or 36, depends if my girlfriend lets me… So 18…

Any suggestions of a good course to play with friendly people. Also, a good driving range nearby so I can get back into the groove of things.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

I grew up in Laguna Beach. Aliso Creek is fun. Used to be called Ben Browns. Oak Creek is a good course. Pretty expensive for what it is. Golf isn’t great here.

Where did you live in Australia? Also lived there for a year in college.

Hey mate,
Lived on the Gold Coast all my life.
Where’d you go to Uni?

Uni New South Wales. Lived on Coogee Beach near Bondi. Amazing time. Love the Gold Coast.

SoCal-ites, looks like I’m going to be in LA for a wedding in September and I should have time to play a few rounds. Not sure where we’re staying yet, but the wedding is in Granada Hills. Where should I play?

We’re visiting family up in Bakersfield during the trip as well.

Easy drive to Rustic Canyon from Granada Hills. Where you are staying does matter a little though.

Good luck on a trip to Bakersfield in September. Should be similar conditions to the surface of the sun. What @z4bes - do Rustic (as early in the AM as possible as it gets hot as heck in the canyon).

1 Like

We’re either staying at a friend’s house in Thai Town or renting a spot elsewhere TBD

Assuming we’re talking Thai town LA, you’re right by the Griffith park courses (one of strapped fame). A little difficult to get on for weekends, but fun enough courses. If you want something closer to the wedding venue, knollwood is right there. Simi hills not too far either. None of these are really going to knock your socks off but good enough to satisfy an itch. Just be warned that pace of play around LA on weekends isn’t great.

1 Like

How are the Babe and Ike courses by the City of Industry?

We may be going out to Pomona/Diamondbar areas well.

Ike is a good course. Pretty long. I’m not as high on the babe. Was just about to add that if you’re heading out to rustic (which it seems like you’ll be in the opposite direction), Los Robles and moorpark cc (semi private) are both good times.

Not too familiar with golf out in that Pomona/db area but black gold in Yorba Linda isn’t /too/ far and also pretty good.

1 Like

Ike is good, Babe is a hard pass (although it does have the worst par 5 I have ever encountered). Pace of play on both courses is gonna be a problem.

Another option will be the Los Serranos courses (South is better than North) in Chino Hills. Black Gold (and for that matter Coyote Hills) are meh for what you are paying. Basically if Chevron could have put homes on that land they would have. Both are pretty penal and require that you do not miss fairways or your ball is gonzo.

The only ones you can walk are the Los Serranos courses - and they are both stout walks.

1 Like

I’ll agree on the price for black gold but I think some of those holes on the back are worth the price of admission. Don’t got that way that often, though, so maybe I’m just over-justifying it

Hey Inland Empire Refuge, moved from Costa Mesa to Murrieta so I could actually afford a home for the wife and kiddo (You never turn your back on family - Dom Toretto). Any recommendations on courses, weekend leagues, or guys up for weekly games? Don’t tempt me with a good ol’ gambling time…

Much appreciated.

IE guy here - you’re around some awesome courses there. I’m planning on heading down to Temecula Creek Inn in a few weeks. Others: Bear Creek, Redhawk, and Cross Creek are the ones I’ve heard good things about. I mostly play up in Riverside, though, so my favorite recent course from there for the money is Rancho Del Sol in MoVal and of course Oak Quarry but that’s a bit expensive for my blood.