Roll Call: Orange County, CA (Long Beach, Inland Empire etc too!)

Out in that neck of the woods, might be worth checking out Goose Creek and Oak Quarry those are my go to’s in that area. While not the best architecturally, Goose is almost always in good shape and pace of play is decent. The club house is lacking… Oak Quarry is a cooler layout, but it gets a lot of play and is sometimes in rough shape. Also you may be out there 5+ hrs.

1 Like

Thanks! Booked oak quarry for Jan 9th. Hopefully the forecast let’s up by then, if not… I’ll probably still play. Neat phone app.

I can’t book goose creek online because they don’t have the option for a single. I’ll call them on Tuesday to get a reservation.

I’m also going to try to play Upland Hills Country Club because it’s a stone’s throw from where I’ll be. Every time I drive by it the sign says “public welcome” but the website is down so I’ll need to call them too.

Upland Hills is a hard pass - play Sierra Lakes instead if you want something close to home. Also, put out some feelers and see if you can get on at Red Hill CC. Private, but a great track.

1 Like

Oak Quarry was very fun. Excellent recommendation. Most of the holes were interesting at the least and sometimes quirky which I love. Bunkers are super turned up visually but we’re less of a factor than I would have thought - which I also appreciated. Condities were also really good today. This course obviously drains well since there was no standing water or even mud today.

9 Likes

I really enjoy that course. It can really get windy out there. I played it when it was blowing a solid 3-4 club wind and it took a solid strike to clear the canyon on 1 but 2 downhill and downwind was reachable with an iron. Some of the holes in the quarry were blocked from the heavy winds, thankfully. A wild day.

Note. Jut looked it up and see they renumbered the holes since I was there (which was I think 2016?). The course used to start on what is now #3. The current first and second were 17 and 18. That made more sense routing wise but I suppose the new routing gets people away better (a short par 4 with a long carry off the tee is probably brutal for pace of play) and what is now 18 is probably a better finisher.

1 Like

you are right, i looked at the layout again, I think theyve change the hole numbering a few times, kinda throws the flow off since the driving range is up top and the new #1 is down below

Looking for some Temecula guidance…wife has to go for a work conference in March; staying at the resort where Journeys golf course is located. She’s encouraging me to join her and play golf while she’s in meetings all day. Worth the trip or no? Happy to travel in the general area to play, and not overly concerned with price. Really just wondering if it’s worth the cost of a flight (and like 7 hours of travel each way) to play golf on the Temecula area for 3 days.

Not a local (live in OC) but play there a little. Journey is a decent track. I am playing Redhawk tomorrow, only played it once - again - decent would be my rating. By far my fav in Temecula is Cross Creek, really nice setting, playing in the vineyards, and some interesting (quirky) holes. Also, you are not far from San Diego so may be better options not too far away.

2 Likes

Other than the ridiculous 18th hole, this course is a gem. Great pace of play, they move you through which is rare on SoCal courses. Strong recommendation.

1 Like

that water is a menace, especially when the wind picks up.

Agreed. Cross Creek is a real hidden gem. 18 is bad, 13 is also frustrating; but otherwise, this course is excellent.

1 Like

What’s up you guys. First time post here. Out in Rancho Cucamonga. Would love to play some time. I regularly play:

Goose Creek
Oak Quarry
Oak Valley
Upland Hills
Red Hill
Sierra Lakes
Los Serranos
Try to Avoid Hidden Valley

Let’s get it.

3 Likes

@bmr21 (RIP) would tell you to embrace the chaos that is HV.

2 Likes

Last time I played there the brush in the ravine in front of 13 was gone. Playing there tomorrow and might try and blow a driver or 3 wood down there instead of laying up with 5 iron.

Can’t do anything about 18…unless you get a favorable wind and tees moved up.

The 18 on Goose is a horrible hole. Doesn’t fit with the rest of a wonderful course.

I agree it doesn’t fit. I think if that hole is on any other course, it feels like a great finishing hole. However, it doesn’t fit there.

I usually try to start a fade over the bunker down the left and hope it comes back. Unfortunately, I suck, so it either doesn’t fade and I’m laying up from the bunker or it slices and I’m dropping and hoping to make double.

1 Like

In town for a friend’s wedding and I have Friday afternoon free. Any mudders want to get a round in at Skylinks this Friday at 11:30? One more $34 tee available through GolfNow.

1 Like

Hi all – Refugee from Chicago here hoping to tap into the hive mind so that I can help my brother out. He lives in Long Beach and is looking to get fit in the next few months, but isn’t sure where to go. His thought was to sign up for a fitting with someone at Roger Dunn so that he can look for used options as well as new ones, but I’m curious if anyone has a name / recommendation of someone (either at Roger Dunn or elsewhere) that they’ve gone to and had a good experience.

Not sure if he’s still there, but I went a few years back to Jerry Azurin at the club champion in Newport.

I was upfront with him that I wasn’t looking to buy that day, just wanted to get specs and an idea to source a bag over time. He appreciated the candor and gave me a great fitting experience.

1 Like

if going the Dunn route. I dont know the guy at all, but i have several buddies that have gotten fit by Dave Ruben (i think thats his name) out of the Santa Ana location.