Roll Call: Orange County, CA (Long Beach, Inland Empire etc too!)

Hey nesticles. I’m a solo heading out this saturday 6/18. Will likely be playing Goose Creek, Hidden Valley or Oak Quarry (possibly playing 2 of them) Love to have some good company if anyone is interested for a round. Nothing too great to see here playing wise - 11 Hdcp.

Skip HV 100 times out of 100. That course stinks.

1 Like

Good to know. Looked like a fun track but will consider other options

Goose Creek and Oak Valley or Oak Quarry are the way to go if you are in the IE.

1 Like

don’t listen to @lbrowne96, Hidden Valley is amazing in a train wreck meets circus sort of way. It must be seen to be believed. Multiple tee shots with 100 foot drop off elevation changes? Check. Giant boulders in the middle of the fairway for no reason? Of course. Enjoy.

2 Likes

That is tempting. Played some courses in mesquite, nv/ st George UT area that might be reminiscent

1 Like

Belated appreciative shout out for the nudge to play Oak Quarry. Played 18 and loved it so much i ended up playing it twice.

2 Likes

If you had taken the Hidden Valley bait instead you would not have been thanking bmr21!

2 Likes

Hello friends!

I will be coming into the LA area in a couple weeks for work. Not actually a golf trip but was definitely looking for some help on where to stay, so I can get some access to great food and avoid any areas I need to.

I will be in the Santa Fe Springs are for a week. Where would you guys recommend staying? Probably going to go with a Hilton property because that is work’s preferred vendor.

First thought was either Long Beach, Seal Beach, or Pasadena area.

Please educate this lost Phoenix soul.

There’s an Embassy Suites in Downey, if you want to make work splurge for the suite life.

1 Like

All three of those cities are a horrid commute to SFS

1 Like

Lots of hotels in Anaheim - 20 minutes to SFS, plenty of good food options around Disneyland/Downtown Disney

1 Like

Soooo another Phoenix guy coming here for some recommendations.

I have a work trip coming up last week of August and get to take some consultants out for golf. Need to keep it within somewhat reasonable pricing (no Pelican or Monarch).

I’ll be in Irvine and I’ve narrowed down to a few options: Black Gold, Tustin Ranch, and Oak Creek. Would love to hear thoughts on these or any other courses in the area.

Don’t go to Tustin Ranch. Oak Creek is my favorite Orange County course. Black Gold is also a good one but a lot more punishing off the tee. Oak Creek is more of a width and angles kind of spot.

1 Like

The only other possibility is Strawberry Farms in Irvine. Oak Creek and SF do not have homes on the course which make them way better than BG or TR.

3 Likes

@lbrowne96 @Cohiba_Escobedo very helpful, thank you! I was sold on width and angles

1 Like

My LA/OC/IE people… Anyone part of a local course player “membership” program? What are your thoughts? worth it?

I have a membership at Oak Creek in Irvine. They lost most of the greens this year but it’s a fun track. Doesn’t beat you up and for the most part is really playable. Pace of play is pretty good as well

3 Likes

I used to do the yearly membership at Tijeras Creek (the Creek Card). It was really only useful for a few bucks off and getting to make tee times a little further out. I dropped it once Covid hit and there were no tee times within three weeks open anyways. Not sure those things are worth it anymore unless you really stick to the same course and play it fairly often.

1 Like

Hi! Tuning in from SF Bay Area. My mom lives in Rancho/Upland/Claremont area. I’m going to visit for 2-3 weeks in January. Any accessible courses around there worth calling out?

How about inaccessible courses?

1 Like