Roll Call: Omaha/Lincoln

:person_raising_hand: :person_raising_hand:

2 Likes

I snuck into the mid-am as well.

2 Likes

I would have loved to go shoot 93-94 at Landmand for only $150…damnit.

*edit - to be clear, not sarcastic at all…I feel like an idiot for not being ready to sign up and I’ll be kicking myself all year.

1 Like

In at 8:00, stamped it at 8:01 for Landmand.

1 Like

On a similar note, it still blows my mind that Landmand sold out the entire summer. I would’ve believed 85% but some Mon-Wednesday random stuff open. But nope, I guess that whole entire thing is booked out. Crazy.

3 Likes

Agreed. I have friends across the country that made a point to book a tee time or two, just goes to show how popular it is after not very much time. This year is going to be huge for Landmand and next year’s tee times will sell out even quicker I bet.

How do the NGA event veterans feel about the State Am being in Scottsbluff?

I’ve only recently gotten into tournament golf. Being from Omaha, I think even Beatrice, Grand Island, and Norfolk are a bit far for a 4 day event. Do people stay in the Holiday Inn for 3 nights for those? But Scottsbluff just seems, to me, like the NGA doesn’t really care about the field. There’s probably a bunch more to it that I don’t understand.

Quality wise, what’s that course even comparable to around here?

I’m torn, but I understand there are a lot of factors.

• There are four mens “majors,” but also a lot of other big tournaments they need hosts for seniors, women, juniors, etc.
  • I think most state golf associations struggle with getting great courses to host these days, especially with the COVID golf/country club boom. I moved here in May 2019 and have played 13/15 men’s majors since then. I think they’ve done a pretty good job with sites, especially when I hear where Kansas and other states settle at.
  • NGA should spread out events across the state. I have no problem with “going west” every 3-5 years. Of those 15 I’ve played, only three have been west of Lincoln (Riverside, Awarii, Wild Horse). They’re probably due.
  • That being said, most of your golfing population is in Omaha and then Lincoln. This year, the four men’s majors are 90-390 miles from Omaha. That is TOUGH, especially for husbands/fathers. If you are going to go to Scottsbluff, you should probably try to have 1-2 other events closer.

I was told Scottsbluff CC is Riverside CC (Grand Island, 2022 Matchplay) at altitude. I can see that on Google Maps.

3 Likes

So…mixed feelings, but IIRC, the last time the State Am was out there, they offered players who missed the chance to keep playing (I think at the other good course in town?). They also worked with Members of SBCC to host players who were interested in making the trip and settling in for the four days. I could certainly be making this up…

I think they’ll do something similar with the cut this year too, so 100 people aren’t driving 7 hours to only play two rounds.

In the grand scheme of things, if you tell me two majors will be at Beatrice and Landmand, sign me the F up every year.

Fourball was supposed to be at TPC (it was already on the website) but something happened recently. That wouldn’t have been that bad of venue mix and proximity, the change to Tatanka skews that a little.

4 Likes

I think its a really cool idea to try for at least one year, sadly I will not be able to make it so these boots won’t be on the ground.
The Eastern side of the state imo is pretty spoiled in terms of tournaments, other states there are ams who have to do a lot more traveling (and qualifying) to play in events they want.

1 Like

Are we East Coast (side) elitist?

4 Likes

Which, if we’re in the nest, I love Riverside CC, fun, slightly quirky old school CC

1 Like

Many are saying so!

1 Like

4 Likes

The west side can keep him (anything west of Lincoln is Western Nebraska. I don’t make the rules)

8 Likes

Newer nest member writing my first post in this thread. Also relatively new to the Omaha area, spent time in CB and just moved to Omaha. I see lots of chatter about best public golf around and I would submit Dodge Riverside as a sleeper! About 9 or 10 robust holes and all great par 3s. Going at peak times you deal with some interesting folks but those off times are golden.

2 Likes