Roll Call: Omaha/Lincoln

Anyone playing tomorrow? Got room?

1 Like

Coming out to visit some family this summer for a week and staying in Elkhorn/Two Rivers Rec area. I’ve played Indian Creek and Pac Springs before but wondering what are some other must play public golf in the Omaha area? got about 4 rounds available to play. I guess if you could play 4 rounds around Omaha where would you play?

Not on a budget

Indian
Iron Horse
Quarry Oaks
Bent Tree

Budget

Willow Lakes
Benson
Johnny Goodman
Elmwood
Tregaron
Bay Hills
PAC Springs

2 Likes

Your budget list might be better than the not budget, less Indian. That place is almost in a category of its own.
Willow and Benson are two good courses, and Goodman is one of my favorites.

2 Likes

Benson and Goodman are better courses than both Iron Horse and Quarry Oaks. Dont sleep on Elmwood either.

4 Likes

should shoreline be on that list?

I’ve only played Shoreline twice, the last time back in like 2013-14, but I’m just not a fan of it. I know some people like it but I would pass

1 Like

Shoreline has some really cool holes and makes you hit a lot of the clubs in your bag if you play it smart. It’s also a very good walking course. But it’s in carter lake which is the butt crack of the Omaha metro and the people who run the course don’t take care of it as well as most other courses in town.

Omahas muni golf is my preference as well along with Willow Lakes which is the best value in town. But if you splurge Indian is the best. I love Bent Tree for the links-ish variety. And Quarry is really pretty but it will kick your ass.

1 Like

4 rounds:

• Elmwood - Beautiful and charming. Short. Lots of elevation changes and big oak trees. Definitely an old-school course.

• Johnny Goodman - Big boy, no frills city course. Amazing bones. Great greens. A little rough around the edges outside of tees, fairways, greens.

• Quarry or Iron Horse - Modern, scenic, unique.

• Bent Tree - More linksy.

Would say Indian as well, but you have already played it. Should try some of these others.

2 Likes

Curious to hear more on this take. What do you like more about those two vs. the other two?

First of all, Iron Horse is a complete piece of shit. Probably the second worst course in the state. (looking at you Bayside).

Second of all, Quarry is fine, but its maybe 90% the golf course of the others, at triple the price.

If you really need elevation change in your golf, sure, fine, Quarry is ok. And it is, its a fine course.

2 Likes

Hahahaha! Going strong into the paint! I like it. Is Iron Horse bad because of the conditions, layout or staff? Or all of the above? I like Quarry but it is a rarity due to distance and price. And no offense intended in the question, just honestly curious of another golfers opinion.

I have heard some horror stories about the iron horse staff.

Bayside is obnoxious but you could never say it’s the worst in NE!

Very well putt, Quarry is fine, and if it were more in Indian’s range it would be more appealing for sure. Also I feel like the conditioning of Quarry has gone down in recent years. Given, the last time I played was this fall in a walking event, but a little rough

2 Likes

I’ve missed you @aannddyy00

6 Likes

Iron Horse has at least 5 of the worst 18 holes in America. 7 more are on the back nine at Bayside.

3 Likes

Due to design or difficulty?

A golf hole is not bad because it’s difficult

2 Likes

Agreed. Is it 8, 9, 10, 14 and 18? Maybe swap 14 with 16?

Anyone want to get out and play on Saturday early afternoon? I play a lot at Indian Creek so could call there. Otherwise, Tiburon and Benson seem to have some times.