Roll Call: Oklahoma "The Supercell" - The Roost's Greatest Logo™

I am also a regrettable WD for this.

It’s been unfortunate but basically what needs to happen for Bermuda to really take is a moderate winter. Since we tore out the greens in 2020 and put in the Bermuda it has been 3 straight year where temps have been below freezing for a week straight which kills the roots. Bailey Ranch and Indian Springs (Dave can correct me if I’m wrong here!) are also going through the same. For years we had problems keeping the older bentgrass alive in the heat of summer and now we have the opposite problem. Its been a series of unfortunate events!

1 Like

IMHO, they really should consider going back to Bent with a modern hybrid. Newer Bent varieties
requires much less physical inputs (aeriation, tarping, etc) and frankly those input times are generally outside the peak playing windows.

Additionally, there could be more at play in the greens structure. If the greens cavities themselves have been compromised (disease, failed drainage/irrigation) nothing will thrive. if this is the case simply resurfacing them again could be more “lipstick on the pig”…

I agree but the problem with that is the cost to regrow the greens is half the cost of resodding Bermuda and resodding is half the cost of putting in the Bermuda. Since the city owns the course they have opted for the cheaper option. The last two years we ran a deal when we had 15 temp greens for $20 cart included and lost 0 play, booked all day Saturday and Sunday from 6-4. No open tee times. It’s wild but people love the cheap golf and the city doesn’t want to turn down the revenue.

Bent would be my preference. I grew up there and still work there on weekends every now and again but have played maybe 20 rounds there since reopen. Partially because of conditions and partially because of just how busy it is.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight! Sorry to hear, that’s tough. I would be remiss if I didn’t recommend some weather forecasting services from @OliveLoaf for future agronomic planning.

1 Like

I feel like I remember hearing that they were under some type of warranty coverage from Champion, at least the first time time they got killed off. Any idea if that is still the case for this go round?

Twin does. They’re great in the shoulder seasons, but every summer part of me wishes we’d switch to something else.

Lincoln and GC of E are also bent, correct?

It was only the first year unfortunately

1 Like

Tried to go out and play a practice round on Friday at Buffalo Rock and can confirm there are no practice facilities. Also say “tried” because they got too much rain the day before and decided to close for the day in order to “protect the course”, while I was checking in for tee time. Was happy to see they are taking the Nader seriously.

3 Likes

Yo @TheSupercell, in case y’all missed it in the NLU Pro Shop thread, they dropped our sweet baby boy Dusty on to a H&B polo for order.

12 Likes

I’m to the point where the hardest part of buying a new polo (edit: or hat) is deciding which to cull from closet…

3 Likes

Touché homie

2 Likes

don’t get it twisted, this is my wifes rule. and then she has the audacity to buy me 2 new FJ polos for my birthday. I didn’t ask for this!!! lol

5 Likes

How do these fit compared to Peter Millar shirts?

1 Like

Slightly smaller. I am a large in the Peter Millar Summer Comfort line and an XL in the H&B Anderson line.

3 Likes

H&B are the best. I normally wear a small in most golf shirts because mediums are dresses. The medium from H&B is a perfect schmedium

1 Like

Anybody going to LIV today?

Might wander over there just to see the circus.

2 Likes

I wanted to go, but between being on baby watch and work it’s just not worth it.

I saw a lot of free tickets floating around online last night, so I have a feeling they’re not going to hit that 10k/day mark they hoped for…

Where? I’d love to not give any money to these fine folks.

I’m pretty sure every volunteer got 2 free tickets for each day - I saw a few friends posting on their IG stories but I think I saw some being thrown out there by BirdieBay and maybe even the 73rd hole guys…