Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

It may be (Zac Blair voice) too good. Shame that it’s always terrible in the fall because they let cars park on the course. HMU if you ever want to get up there in the summer. My wife is an alum so I get reduced rates and am always looking for an excuse to play there

I’m sorry, I am maritally obligated to say GO BUCKS! (My wife is OSU class of ‘07).

It’s a tough thing to admit because I was OSU Class of 2008 but U of M’s course is amazing

Quick update on Cincinnati getting a Club Champion - Not open yet, but soon! Here is the location according to their website:

7714 Montgomery Road
Cincinnati, OH 45236

Picture of the shopping center:

wow, that’s NOT where I thought they’d go. Thinking about the type of clientele they would attract, I would have thought it’d be north of 275.

Haha! You mean being 500 feet from Nordstrom is a bad area? Kidding…Yes, it is a little weird knowing they are going to be next to a Dollar General. However, Kenwood draws people from every area of the city, especially the north of 275 crowd.

1 Like

I consider kenwood road being a significant dividing line of montgomery rd!

Edit…trader joes is on the other side so I now consider david’s bridal that line…

1 Like

With Club Champion and the rumored outdoor fitting facility Golf Exchange and Andrew Stephens are putting together we’re going to have some great options in Cincy/NKY.

Cool. I had not heard anything about this. Any more details?

Andrew owns the golf ranch now rather than just renting space. Sounds like they will be doing Callaway fittings out there sooner than later.

Club Champion in Cincinnati is now open. I believe today was their first day…

There is a Club Champion coming to Columbus soon as well, and they also are in a shopping center area off of Sawmill in the Dublin area.

1 Like

Cincy born, bred, and reside. Westsider. MofO alumn with many rounds at Hueston Woods and Indian Ridge. Currently playing out of Miami View, a no-frills, golf-only club in Miamitown. There are houses in Indian Hill 2-3x the size of our clubhouse. I’m okay with that; it keeps our dues (relatively) cheap. I’ve played most of SW Ohio, with one very notable exception. Let’s just say I’ve played two Raynors, but they were both 12 hours away.

The Stephens Golf Center recently installed Top Tracer. Sara (Stephens) told me the closest place that has it is somewhere in Cleveland. They’ve done that, plus all new mats, plus all new balls. More changes coming. They’re investing a lot in that place, and it shows.

1 Like

I’m headed out there today. Interested to see what the Top Tracer does and doesn’t do.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/if-you-are-ever-in-town-big-randy-rule/4831/264?u=brick

Hey, nice to see another Indian Ridge guy on here!

I’m currently a college player in the area, practice and play a lot up on the Ridge. Also played Hueston Woods quite a bit in high school.

Curious how recently you’ve been up to IR, it’s probably one of the nicest public courses in the area now that the new guys have bought it and put a few years’ worth of time and money into it. If you’re ever looking for a game out there hit me up!

They’ve opened it up a lot with a ton of tree removal. 16 is a whole different hole, they also flipped 15 and 18 which makes a lot of sense to me. It plays pretty firm and is still a great public option in butler county. HW Did a lot of work too and it’s a huge improvement. Such a great course for being public park funded

1 Like

Fun story: they added the left fairway on 16 because one of the owners has a chronic hook, and couldn’t keep it out of the creek that used to be over there (and is now piped underground, sigh). 15 and 18 were actually originally the way they are now, but got flipped at some stage of operation between the opening of the course and when the new guys bought it.

Also curious about HW; I heard they aerated back in the fall and didn’t top-dress, and it hasn’t been in good shape the past few times I’ve been there. Did hear that it’s recently been bought by a big company, USA Hotels I think, so there’s all new ownership and staff and they may be investing more into it in the near future.

Well you know more than I do! Not sure on HW ownership, but I actually always thought it got the nudge vs IR when I was in school. You ever make it over to Harbor Links?

Only once a couple of years ago, but it’s one of my favorite public courses I’ve ever played. Curiously not often included in lists of best courses around Cincy, and pretty under-rated, at least in the golf circles I’m involved in. Beautiful course though, kinda quirky in spots but a ton of fun!

Hueston was definitely the better course, and probably a better overall layout/design than IR, but more recently the new owners have made IR pretty well-conditioned while Hueston has gone downhill in that department. It’s kinda flipped recently but hopefully, if the rumors are true about the new ownership, it could come back around.