Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

The audacity it takes to have a pre 6am tee time and play in over 4 hours is astounding

10 Likes

I played early yesterday morning in Columbus and ended up playing through seven groups.

Shrink the game

16 Likes

Any Cincinnati folks played in the met amateur event, or planning to play this year?

Looks like qualifying play Mon/Tue in mid-June then match play rest of the week. I would have no chance to qualify for match play but curious what the event is like and might be fun to play.

Anyone have any experience they’re willing to share?

2 Likes

Where was this?!

1 Like

Ellsworth. Had a 6:18 tee with my dad and we were the forth group out. It seemed like the first group was the slow one. Just can’t wrap my head around teeing at 5:40 ish and playing at such a leisurely pace

4 Likes

100% if you’re first off you gotta hustle. That’s 3:30 or less territory

5 Likes

I’ve played the Met multiple times, and worked it as a Boatwright intern last summer. Planning to play it this year as well.

It’s a good time, but it’s basically turned into an elite amateur/college player type of event. Last year, I believe the 36-hole cut for a 64-man match play bracket was +5.

Some years, the courses are top notch… others not as much. I’ve heard rumor that Maketewah and Coldstream may host in the future. This year it’s Elks Run and Clovernook - the Nook is private and will certainly be in great condition; Elks Run is great and all, but you can play it for $35 on a GolfNow hot deal. Not necessarily worth signing up for the tournament just to play the courses. If you’re looking for elite-level competition and a very well-run tournament, the Met is absolutely worth it though.

2 Likes

Thanks, so then will qualifying be at Elks Run and match play at Clovernook?

Clovernook is nearby me, would love to play that one. Theres a dearth of info on the site, like when pairings come out, what tee times fols will get (early/late), etc…

1 Like

Looks like qualifying is at both courses, now that I look at the web page again. So maybe worth it to play Clovernook and experience some tournament golf.

Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

I grew up caddying at Clovernook and caddied in the Met several times. It’s a great event, but you need to be scratch or better to have a chance of sniffing match play. The kids who are truly competing in this event are in the +2 to +5 range. If you are a 2 or 3 handicap, then maybe play for fun and get tournament experience. But if you are 4 or higher, then I’d say just keep working on your game and sign up for a smaller tournament to get experience. The Met is a BDE and tournament golf is a different animal.

4 Likes

2 spots for manakiki Saturday at 7:30 and 1 spot at sleepy for Sunday at 7:30

1 Like

I’ll take that Saturday spot if no one has in slack while I was out with them High Cotton boys this weekend

1 Like

Thanks for the insight, are caddies optional or required at the Met? I was thinking mid Am then, but its at Beckett Ridge this yr which is not a good course IMO.

1 Like

Took my son and his friends to top golf tonight for his birthday. His swing looks way better at the top than mine does.

6 Likes

Let me check. There were either still 2 spots or none

2 Likes

Pin sheet from Springfield today.

7 Likes

Feel bad for anyone that has to make a putt on 18 to quali for the US Open. God speed if you can’t hold the bottom right of that green. That spot is filthy for a last hole.

1 Like

Man there’s several really brutal locations there. Someone is gonna earn earn that spot(s)

1 Like

Group golfer with a deal on Cleveland wedge set two wedges for 169.00

Staying “below the hole” on some of those front facing pin locations is going to be damn near impossible. That pin location on 10 is brutal as well. Anything on the left side of that green is going to be a 3 putt with that crazy elevation change on the tiers.

Brutal all the way around.

2 Likes