Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

I’m good brother! Thank you!

Hi everyone, been here for a bit but this is my first post. Live near Yankee Trace, so play that quite a bit along with the other locals like Heatherwoode, Shaker Run, Brown’s Run, etc. Also get to Columbus/Cincy to play a number of times pear year.

Played a course called Jasper Hills yesterday, which is east of Xenia. It is a course that was under a different name and closed, but was bought by a different group who re-opened it last year and have been clearly putting some money into it. I had read some good reviews and I’m glad I went out to play it. A bit hilly, especially front nine, and quite narrow in spots…18 was maybe the narrowest hole I’ve played in the area. A little tree removal would help a bit. Otherwise quite an interesting course. Par 35 37 72, with five par 3’s and five par 5’s…and three out of last four holes are par 5’s. 42 to ride on a weekend, 32 to ride after 3pm…22 (!) to walk after 3pm, though def not in the easy walk category. Nice little restaurant/bar too. I’ve seen some ppl mention National east of Springfield as a really good value (which it is)…I think this is one as well, maybe even more so. Anyhow, wanted to give a heads up to those who might want to try this course out.

4 Likes

Played Wedgewood this afternoon- They are gonna tear up the entire track in August- Greens, tee boxes, brand new holes, reroute the course.

Fastest greens I’ve putted on in a long time. Fun to see my brother shoot -1.

3 Likes

Shoutout to @CarlyRaeJepsenFan for sherpaing around the Legacy by Arthur Hills only led me astray once or twice but still showed me the way to a career best birdie total so gotta say appreciate the ohio hospitality

7 Likes

It’s actually happening now? I had heard a few years ago about work being done but it got pushed back. Really solid track, will be interested to see what gets done

2 Likes

August 1st they are starting. Gonna take an entire year

Interesting, you know who’s doing the work?

1 Like

Welcome neighbor from a fellow Centervillian

2 Likes

I do not, I’ll ask my buddies dad

Truly a treat to meet up and play a round with you! That putter of yours was smoking-hot, and we had some perfect weather for relaxed Sunday morning round. If the rest of the CGC roost are as enjoyable to play with as you, I’ll have to get out there for an event some time.

2 Likes

I’m in if you’ve still got spots

Sorry spots all got filled yesterday

For those non 9 to 5ers in Ohio looking for a fun day, D2 nationals are at Avalon Lakes this week. I was going to take a day to go watch my alma mater Gannon if they got in. Missed out by one shot. Across three rounds in team stroke play, that’s a kick in the nuts.

Anyone ever play the course? Looks pretty sick.

3 Likes

Want to get out to play there this summer

2 Likes

no worries. put me on standby in case anyone bails.

1 Like

If anyone has an open spot somewhere early Saturday (5/27) in SW Ohio let me know. Looking to play and my normal group can’t play this weekend.

1 Like

Solid course with some noticeable Dye-flavoring. Some tough greens and a couple holes with some tight corridors. Will be up there mid-June for the US Kids state event. The kids love the resort for “it’s indoor pool that’s open till 11:00!” (Extreme kid voice)

2 Likes

Hey all, the Roost Championship is at Sweetens Cove this year and once the last Columbus event is over we will have to have our competition against Michigan/Pittsburgh/Canada. We will have to have four people who are able to golf in Toledo for the Regional Finals in Late July as well as travel to Sweetens if we win that match.

I would like to give preference to those who have won/competed in our year long events but also have to realize that not everyone can travel to Sweetens. Before I try to come up with a points system I’d like to get a list of people who can travel.

This is more of a rambling post but should we get a signup going that IF you can go to Sweetens I should put you on that list.

Participating in Ohio match play = 1 point
Played in Cincy/Findlay/Columbus = 1 point per event
Won an event = 4 points per event won

@methridge @BrianJLaurent and I are going to meet up soon to discuss how we can build a point system that goes from this summer to next June so it’s more set in stone (something I fucking sucked at this year) but also gives us a chance to have something to play for after the June event.

7 Likes

Sounds like a wrap-(reach)-around season is in the works. I love the idea of having more stuff going through August/Sept/Oct though.

4 Likes

Yeah one thing i’ve been really fucking bad at is trying to do anything after mid-summer when fall golf is the best thing going.

1 Like