Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

NWO guy as well. Happy to host at Mohawk CC in Tiffin sometime.

7 Likes

As a Tiffin U alum, do we get to play the course at all for a cheaper rate?

Love that place! It was always one of my favorite places to play during junior golf!

2 Likes

I’m a Heidelberg grad and haven’t seen anything like that. Guest fee was $50 this year

2 Likes

I’d like to use this as an excuse to drive over to tiffin and find the smoked lasagna food truck they’ve got

2 Likes

Or get some New Reigel ribs for the first time in like 8 years

2 Likes

Cool thanks. I played there once and it’s really fun. I’m in Findlay.

1 Like

Manakiki wasn’t ugly today

15 Likes

I would be down for a Mohawk day, so much fun!

And JJS, what did they build at Hillcrest right off the parking lot?

2 Likes

It’s an event space, where the local newspaper article, when it listed the events they hoped to host, started with “euchre tournament”. It’s an eyesore and messed up the 7th hole

2 Likes

Sorta last minute, but I’m playing Moraine on Friday afternoon and everyone has cancelled on me. I have three spots (and can add a trailing foursome if there is enough interest). Just let me know if you’re interested.

I know some of you guys are members and we’ve connected about that, so would love to see you all out there as well. Just starting the conversation about logistics.

Cheers!

Brick

(PS I’m also playing the afternoon of Thursday 10/27 and potentially have a few spots).

10 Likes

The Hillcrest building will be really nice, a good addition to Findlay. However, it doesn’t make sense on the course. They course stinks.

1 Like

I have some family stuff that I have to attend to early next week in the Miami Valley area. Wondering if I should bring my clubs and sneak away 18. Looking at Miami Shores Golf Club, since it’s a Donald Ross course open to the public. Any better recommendations?

1 Like

Miami Shores is a solid, if short, option. It’s a Ross, but in much the way of his public courses you can’t tell other than the greens. Some of the most slopey greens in the area. They can’t cut them to modern day speeds or else they would lose them pretty quickly.

Are you mainly going to be in Northern Dayton or will you be coming south at all?

I could probably get a little south. Since it’s a family thing, I will be sneaking away for around, so not 100% sure.

1 Like

Sneaking away makes it a little tougher for sure. Miami Shores shouldn’t be too long of a round if that’s how you wanted to do it. It’s a fun course, just don’t expect anything too spectacular outside of the greens.

If you’re going to be North of town, then another suggestion I have is Cassel Hills in Vandalia. Tale of two nines there and honestly the timing could be pretty sweet with the fall colors on the back nine through the woods there. The greens are much more simple here with many being just simple domes. But this was my favorite course growing up.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help! Any recommendations for something a little south if I can get away?

1 Like

If you can get away and have a little time or can play early, then my recommendation is always going to be Community Golf Club, specifically the Hills. But the Dales isn’t bad either.

Designed by Alex ‘Nipper’ Campbell who also did Moraine CC just down the road. The use of the topography here and the design of the greens is just stunning. Hell of a course for how cheap it is.

edit: Just to add that playing Community can be a bit of a slog if you don’t get out early. It’s a great price, but because it’s a great price they do get busy.

1 Like

If I’m around on Thursday or Friday I’d love to join you. I might be in Dallas or Columbus (see mental health thread) but if I’m around I would love to grab a spot.

1 Like

@nohio got a NOGA newsletter today, saw a familiar face. Congrats!

6 Likes