Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

GroupGolfer.com has a deal on Denison GC today. You can buy up to 4 passes for $30 each with cart.

The restrictions on when you can use it aren’t too bad.

2 Likes

Hey Guise. After spending a long time in the Chicago area, I am going to be back in the buckeye state here. Relocating to the Dublin area to be closer to family. Contemplating joining somewhere (Tartan Fields) but will also be open to hopping on any public golf in the vicinity. I know some have said he public scene isn’t great but I grew up playing on about a 5400 yard, par 72 course, so I’m sure I’ll welcome whatever is out there.

7 Likes

Would love to be added to the Cincy Whatsapp as well. Just moved back to the area after a stint in Philly. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Grew up in Cindy and playing that par 3 course all the time. When I was in a tourney in elementary on #1, I duck hooked my driver in to the parking lot of the gas station across Newton Road. Good times

2 Likes

Lol. We’d pop over there for a refreshment from time to time. And I know you are a youngin because that’s the new par 3 course routing!

3 Likes

Little Turtle is goofy. I played there in a club vs club match when I was at Northstar and didn’t like it at all.

I left N* and looked at York but ended up going with Rattlesnake Ridge in Sunbury. We’ll see how it goes.

4 Likes

Rattlesnake is legit. It’s one of my personal favorites. Power lines come into play on 2 holes I think, but I’ve always been a big fan.

1 Like

They interfere on the tee shot on the par 5 #16. Some of the other holes you can feel the electricity when your club is touching the ground…#concerning.

I’ll have to get you out to RR so we can tee it up together again.

3 Likes

You got me… I only played the original routing once. Now it’s part driving range and part flooding area.

If you’re looking for maybe a cheaper membership I would suggest Heritage Lakes in Hilliard. Crazy green complexes and lots of water. No pool / tennis courts but large range. Part of ClubCorp so you’re able to play at courses around the country (including Firestone). Some good public tracks are Golf Club of Dublin, Raymond Memorial, Safari.

3 Likes

It’s just Heritage GC. I’m a member out there and it is one of the more affordable options in the Columbus area, especially the young executive membership(under 34). It’s P.B. Dye’s first course and very much has the usual Dye characteristics and hazards. Even the railroad tie bunkers on a hole. Course is always in good shape and the practice facility is awesome… even have two heated bays that open up to the range for members to use in the winter.

I’ve only there for a year but the membership has been very welcoming and it’s pretty easy to find a money game if that’s what you’re into. If not, there’s plenty of casual golfers and families playing as well. None of the stuck-up pretentious BS that comes with a few of the clubs in the area. Definitely recommend looking into if you’re considering joining somewhere in Cbus.

2 Likes

Jealous of Rattlesnake since it’s golf only (correct me if I’m wrong). NE OH guis do we have any privates that are golf only?

1 Like

Sand Ridge

Legend Lakes is golf only.

All this CC talk has me curious about rates for Lake Forest or Silver Lake in the Hudson area. Anybody have even a directional sense?

Silver Lake is part of Club Corp, which I’ve just learned exists, if that’s helpful at all

Been a while since I lived in Ohio but Oberlin used to be golf only and very affordable.

2 Likes

I liked North Star early last year. You said it went downhill though?

1 Like

Correct golf only.

I’m down once this weather gets better. I’ve got a new driver I’ve been itching to hit.

I used to play Heritage a lot when I was younger but haven’t played it since they redid the course maybe 7-8 years now. Greens were kinda shitty for a private but I know they have new greens