Roll Call: Northern NJ, NE PA

Idk where you’re at but i just found out that Neshanic Valley has a full on practice center. Grass range, giant putting green, practice greens/bunkers, and 3 practice holes.

Im up in Morris County so that’s a little far from me for practice. But I appreciate the info. That’s the type of place I’m on the lookout for

Continuing my 2020 of checking out northeast golf courses.

Planning to drive up and go play 36 at Crystal Springs with a buddy on Friday June 19th. Looking at Wild Turkey 10-11a / Ballyowen 3-4p. Any Refugee’s want to join in?

I am also dying to to play a gem on that Saturday the 20th. Anyone belong to any good private courses that could use a 4th? Or any must play favorite public courses that I cannot miss?

Don’t forget the Crystal Springs course. It’s a great course.
I wish I was available, I play there regularly.

I haven’t had a chance to play it yet but I’ve heard good things about Rock Springs in West Orange. Its a public Seth Raynor course. Its definitely next on my list to play up here.

2 Likes

If you had to pick on Crystal Springs or Wild Turkey? Is it worthy of tacking it on and making it a 54 hole day on one of the longest days of the year?

Wild Turkey is like a combination of Ballyowen and Crystal Springs. Personally, I’d be mentally exhausted after playing them before Wild Turkey.

Jack Frost is legit.

1 Like

Just seeing this. I really hope you chose Wild Turkey. Crystal Springs is terrible. Hard for the sake of saying it’s hard. No holes that stand out for me except the super gimmicky par-3 down the hill.

2 Likes

Ended up playing Ballyowen, a quick nine at mineral, then finishing up the day with Wild Turkey. Pretty great day!

1 Like

Played Sunset Valley yesterday. It’s definitely a tight piece of property (found myself dodging more than a few errant shots from other groups) but definitely a fun track. Course was in great condition, lots of elevation changes and dog legs to keep you guessing, and walkable (if you don’t mind walking up some hills). Only real downside was the pace of play was on the slow side. Overall I thought it was a great course for the price that I would definitely play again.

1 Like

I’m also in Morris County. Agreed with your comment about not being able to find a grass tee range (or at least one with any decent grass!). Did you ever get out to Rock Springs? Looks like an interesting course. I’ve got some time off coming up over the next 2 months, so looking for any new courses to check out!

1 Like

Rock Spring is a really fun course. A favorite of our NYC Metro RACDG chapter. They raised their prices mid-year which was a little annoying but mid-week you can get like $50 walking rates. Hard to beat that.

4 Likes

I posted this in the Metro NYC thread, but I’m involved in hosting a tournament next month at Watchung Valley in NJ for a great cause.

You can respond to the email on the flyer or shoot me a PM if you’re interested in playing or otherwise supporting.

i play The Country Club of Scranton, Glenmaura national in the NEPA region solid courses

Agree with this. Rock Spring is a fun track and generally a good value. Before my kid came along I was getting out there pretty easily as a single in the early morning and flying around. It’s definitely not in the same condition as it was before it went public, but it’s consistently good and you can’t beat an easily accessible Seth Raynor layout.

I have a tee time at Brookeville Country Club (Locust Valley area) that I bought through a charity auction. Looks like a cool, funky, quirky, old school Raynor from the aerials.

Looking to fill out the 4some. Tentatively playing 7/24 after 11am.

Anyone interested?

Greetings from the SF Bay Area. I’m going to be in NJ week of Thanksgiving and will be playing Ballyowen. Never played golf in cold weather so was hoping you folks could give me tips for how to survive? I’m hitting up my local golf super store this weekend to purchase all the necessities.

Also is the course walkable?

Thermacare on your back is clutch. I’ve played in 10 degrees with them on and been fine

1 Like

Layers layers and more layers.

I play in NJ all winter and usually if it’s between, say 45-60, I’ll wear a light weight “thermal”, a polo, a q zip or other light jacket type layer. Pants. Long socks.

Under 45 it’s an under armor heavier base layer, a base layer on my legs too under pants, polo, quip/sweater, jacket/vest combo.

I just peel top layer off/mix and match them as I heat up during the round.

1 Like