Roll Call: Northern NJ, NE PA

I haven’t seen a roll call for my area yet. Just wanted to see who’s in the area. Any interesting trips planned, or outings going on? Anybody know of any hidden gems in the area? My wife gave me a golf card recently so I’ll be trying 4 courses in the area that I’ve never played before. Cliff Park, which I hear is rough, Culver Lake, Country Club of the Poconos, and Hidden Acres.

1 Like

how were these? i’d love to know some places to go up north— i’m about an hour south of the strousdburg area (bucks county) and have been eyeing some of the robert white courses up there to try this fall (member at harkers hollow which is also a white, really fun classic design):
Glenn Brook Golf Club
Water Gap Country Club
Buck Hill Golf Club (robert white/donald ross)

have you played any of these?

Glen Brook was a nice course. I was a member there up until a few years ago. There were two quirky holes, but that’s not the reason I left. I just stopped playing for a few years. WGCC is pretty much hit or miss, the condition wasn’t great when I played it, but it’s usually worth the cheaper greens fees. I’ve never played Buck Hill, but I looked it up and it seems like a very nice course. I’ll have to put it on the list for next year.

Just moved to the northern NJ from Jacksonville, Fl. Still trying to find some good walkable munis in the area. I’d appreciate any recs in the area.

What part of Northern NJ are you in? I have a few recommendations but really depends on where you live.

Im in Denville/Morris County

I live in Wayne/Passaic County but play a lot in the Morris County area. The Morris county courses are pretty decent, so you can start with those (Sunset Valley in Pompton Plains, Berkshire Valley in Oak Ridge). I really like Berkshire Valley. There is also Knoll Country Club (Boonton) with the East course being your typical muni and Knoll West which is semi-private and nicer. Bowling Green in Oak Ridge is always nice. Just up the road from you in Sparta/Lafayette is Farmstead which I’ve grown fond of. If you drive a bit further north into Sussex County you have the Crystal Springs resort which has a handful of great courses including Crystal Springs, Wild Turkey, and Ballyowen. All in all, your in a good location to get to quite a few good public courses. Now if you are dead set on walking, I’d say Knoll, Bowling Green, and Meadows in Lincoln Park may be your best bets. Many of the other courses I’ve mentioned have some elements of hills or far green to tee walks, making carts a better choice/required. I hope this helps. Now just be prepared for some long rounds, as public play in our area can be a slog at peak times/weekends.

This helps a ton! I’d looked into Knoll Country club and Bowling Green. I’ll definitely have to start working my way around the area this fall. I’ve actually been working some in Wayne and saw Preakness Valley and thought about giving it a shot too. Im not dead set on walking but like having a fun places that are walker friendly to go back to especially for afternoon 9’s. Thanks again for all the great info, it is much appreciated.

No problem, happy to help. As a lifelong Wayne resident, let me warn you about Preakness Valley. It gets a ton of play. If you plan to play on the weekend, try to get one of the earliest tee times available or it will be a really long round. I purposely didn’t mention Preakness in my post because I’d rather try to play anywhere else on a weekend. If you can get there during the week or maybe for a twilight round, you may be ok. Its really unfortunate, because I live in town and its a decent muni, just the pace of play is brutal.

1 Like

What courses in the Poconos area are worth checking out? Playing Split Rock & Jack Frost but might have time to sneak another one in.

Check out Pocono Manor. It’s a Donald Ross course.

@simms & @PlattAttack, knoll west often opens up to the public with early AM weekday shotguns or they’ll sometimes give you a 1030 on a weekend if you call up & ask. the conditioning is just okay but the bones of knoll west are really solid. so much better than anything truly public in north jersey

good to know, thanks. It looks like you can book Knoll West on their website, though I haven’t yet had the chance to try. Is that the case?

it may be now, but if so it’s new. http://www.knollgolfclub.com/public/ . looks like there are some prime times open to the public for this sunday.

has anyone heard of Cliff Park Golf Course up in Milford PA ? my uncle’s eye doctor’s great grandmother designed it in 1913 because “the men were always going to new york to play” so she wanted a course for the women there (her husband was a member at augusta at some point too i guess). i couldn’t care less about conditioning, which seems to be a very big complaint on the internet about it, some of the pictures make it seem like it might have some fun holes though

Sunset valley is a nice course and very walkable. Bring a batting helmet if you try the meadows, it’s very tight there. Honestly I’d say your best bet is the crystal springs courses or check out the somerset county courses (neshanic valley, green knoll)

Anyone interested in Ballyowen on sunday morning (850 and 9am tee times)? We are 6 refugees at the moment, have 2 more spots.

1 Like

Played Knoll West on Friday in Boonton. Banks design, some really cool holes, in pretty good shape compared to other options around. They have a weird semi-private membership model so maybe I just got lucky finding an open time, but really enjoyed my round. Will try to get back there for sure.

FWIW I found the tee times on GolfNow the night before I played and called them directly the next morning to book.

Just found this thread, I’m in northern NJ too, Morris county. Would be interested in any meet ups this coming season.

Where do you normally play? I joined the Crystal Springs rewards so I’ll be playing quite a bit up there.