Roll Call: North Carolina

You will find some good options nearby. There are a lot of public options in the area along with some nice private clubs depending on your budget. On the Public side since your probably going to be in Chapel Hill you have Finley, the Preserve, Chapel Ridge fairly close by. They can be a bit pricey but you can get deals
Occoneechee in Hillsborough, Umstead Pines and Hillandale in Durham are good tracks. The Challenge, Mill Creek, and Quaker Creek (The COUNTRY club) are not too far either.

1 Like

Welcome to the Triad. There are so many good places to play around here. Here are a few of my favorites (in no specific order):
The Cardinal by Pete Dye - Greensboro
Oak Hollow - High Point
Bryan Park - Greensboro
Oak Valley - Advance
Tanglewood - Clemmons
Tot Hill Farm - Asheboro
Salem Glen - Clemmons
Forest Oaks - Greensboro

3 Likes

Hey! I just moved to Charlotte a few months ago and live over by Piper Glen. Always down to play. Let me know if you ever need a 4th or want to get out to the course. Cheers!

1 Like

Live in Charlotte. Kids and wife donā€™t allow me to get out as much as Iā€™d like, so not part of a private club. Typically play Emerald Lakes, Olde Sycamore, Ballantyne Resort, Stonebridge. Won the ā€œin-lawsā€ lottery and have access to Bald Head Island Club on the coast. Obsessed with the game, love all things golf architecture and buddy trips. Can have all the shots in my bag, just never frequently and consistently enough in the same day to break 90.

Same story, Ronnie. Only get to play 5 or 6x/year since having children but I do want to play more. Shoot me an email if you ever want to send it. Bgduff5@yahoo.com.

Is Tot Hill worth missing the Masters for? Iā€™m attending a wedding in Western NC and was thinking about hitting up Tot Hill on my way back to the airport on Sunday afternoon. Not sure when Iā€™m going to get anywhere near Asheboro for a while.

1 Like

Anyone playing in the Nextgengolf City Tour tournaments this summer? There are tournies in Raleigh and Charlotte starting in May. The Championship is at Pinehurst #6 and #8 on Labor Day weekend. Check it out - https://nextgengolf.org/2019-city-tour-championship-pinehurst-resort/

Jealous about the BHI access, gotten lucky to play there a few times on vacation and absolutely love that place.

1 Like

Tot Hill is a great layout. Conditions have been spotty the last few years, but worth it for the experience. The rates there are very reasonable so Iā€™d give it a shot.

Ideally itā€™s always better to play then watch the Masters, but I generally choose playing over watching.

Tot Hill is most definitely worth missing the Masters for. If you are not in this area often you need to experience Tot Hill. The course has had itā€™s highs and lows over the years but the original ownership took the course back and it is in great shape. I last played there in February and could not be more impressed with how far it has come. I cannot recommend it enough.

If people are saying itā€™s recently been in good shape, then absolutely. Itā€™s also probably the cheapest really interesting course Iā€™ve seen. You can always check out the replays or stream an exciting finish.

Iā€™m gonna play devils advocate. I love the masters, and watching it on sunday afternoon is one of my favorite days of the year. Plenty of days to play golf every year, but thereā€™s only one masters sunday.

2 Likes

Thanks to @Double_Bogey_Dave, @BCates, @anon29849602, @tigersfirehydrant, and even @cltgamecock for the feedback. I think Iā€™m going to bring my sticks and try to play close to where the wedding is (Banner Elk) and then hit up Tot Hill on Sunday. I am a huge Tobacco Road fan, and feel like I canā€™t miss this opportunity to play another Stranz. Course should be empty too, which will make for an even nicer walk.

I have the last couple years up in the DC region. Just moved down to SC so Iā€™ll probably play in a Charlotte tourney this summer. Great events and Iā€™m hoping to make it up to Pinehurst this year for the championship.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s actually walkable, some of the holes are pretty far away from each other + elevation change is massive.

1 Like

I cant imagine walking Tot Hill, that course is bad enough to play CPO, I would be crushed having to walk the whole damn thingā€¦

Kind of interested in you ended up skipping Masters Sunday and played?

That was one hell of a Sunday watching golfā€¦

I think I was right this yearā€¦

no doubt about itā€¦

hind sight being 20/20 and knowing what took place at the Masters on Sunday and having played Tot Hill a few times, there is no way I would have picked playing over watching

That Sunday was special. Waking up Sunday am and it was already on TV, eating bacon/pimento biscuits and drinking bloody Maryā€™s, seeing Tiger winā€¦not sure it could have gotten much better than that.

1 Like

The forecast was garbage all weekend, so I left my clubs at home. Having watched the entire final round, I canā€™t believe I was actually contemplating skipping it. Hindsight though.

All that said, I will be making a special trip to Tot Hill soon.

1 Like

yeah the forecast was definitely garbage.

i played in a scramble saturday morning that started at 7 which is crazy in itself, but oh well. it started raining about 745 or 8, pouring by 830ā€¦we made it through like 10 holes i think before the lightning got too close and we had to come in.

we ate lunch, they did the raffles and stuff and we left to to go to a bar for a bit b/c we werent quite ready to go home and watch golf and cook out at my spot just yetā€¦ordered up a round of beers and shots, looked outside and the rain had let up, sun peeking out so we called the closest course and sure enough they were still open.

ended up playing 18 there, 2 of the guys tied so there were 2 extra holes played by themā€¦we were pretty much at a golf course from 630 am to 730 pm that day; managed to catch the masters replay that started at 8 pm, it was absolutely glorious.

1 Like