Roll Call: North Carolina

Even though with my recent golf game indicating I should probably try a different swing, I am not a lefty golfer (yet) so can’t assist here

3 Likes

I’m checking with my contact to see if he needs wedges. Sounds like he has a putter.

Also, this contact is the owner of Underdog Records in Winston-Salem for those of you who like record stores.

Worst case scenario, we can take this to the The Silk Road and/or Darknet in an ISO role. But I figured I’d check locally first.

1 Like

@johnymerritt

1 Like

Just reached out to a buddy to see if hes got his old irons still and will follow up. He works in winston

1 Like

How impossible is it to find a connection to get on Dormie?

@yungbunzz

I’m your man. Can’t guarantee I can get you on but I can try.

Scouting trip to NC at the end of the month. A day in Raleigh (exploring some neighborhoods we think we want to live in) and then heading over to Greensboro to do the same.

Obviously jobs and other factors will play into where we live but if there are any local things to do in either of those cities, let me know.

2 Likes

What kind of stuff are you looking for? Lots of different ways we can go with this.

Raleigh:

Museum of Art
Museum of Natural Sciences
Pullen Park (if you have kids)
Lots of parks
Public golf isn’t as plentiful in Raleigh as it is in Greensboro
Raleigh Farmer’s Market
Lot’s of good breweries

Greensboro:

I’m not as familiar with Greensboro things to do but the downtown area has improved a ton over the last 10 years
Greensboro Science Center
A lot of good, public golf
Good breweries
Outlet shopping at Tanger

What parts of Raleigh are you looking for houses?

2 Likes

These are all good. Thank you.

In Raleigh we are currently looking at Cary/Apex or the Near North or whatever that neighborhood is called that is north side of the city and kind of rides the Interstate/US Highway that is there. - We have a daughter so schools are of more importance to us than they were two years ago but also trying to marry that City/Suburb life.

1 Like

I guess another question is what is the job market/industries in both of those areas? Is there something that each town is known for? I have a Mechanical Engineering background and in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/Saint Paul) if you are an Engineer, you either work for Cargill, General Mills, in the HVAC industry or one of the many Medical Device companies. - Assuming there are some strong industries in the Triangle and Triad area that stand out

1 Like

Can’t comment on the schools now since I don’t live in Raleigh anymore. But I grew up in Raleigh and live 45 minutes south of Raleigh now and still spend a decent amount of time up there.

I’m very partial to NW Raleigh. That corridor along Glenwood Avenue north of 440 is the sweet spot of Raleigh to me. Convenient to everything you need to get to and I’d assume still puts you in some good school districts. My brief online research says the schools around Leesville Road are good, which makes sense. Umstead Park is over there and has a lot of space for hiking, bike trails, etc… And I feel like that area around Leesville Road/540/Glenwood Ave can get you options of homes that aren’t in the cookie cutter neighborhoods but you have those neighborhoods as options too if that’s what you are looking for.

For your 2nd question about job market…Raleigh is close to RTP. Tons of tech jobs there. With NC State being an engineering school there should be a good amount of those jobs in the area. @ColoniusFunk would probably be better served to lend insight on that though. If you do get a job in RTP, I’d do whatever you possibly can to avoid driving on I40 to and from work.

Edit: I love Raleigh. I grew up there. I’d still live there if it wasn’t for my wife. I think it’s the perfect mix of big city and small town. The airport is great. It never seems to be crazy busy. Easy to get in and out. It’s 2 hours to the beach and 3-4 hours to the mountains. An hour to Pinehurst.

1 Like

Depending on what you enjoy doing, Greensboro has a lot to offer in my opinion.

Science Center is a must, especially if you have kids.
My wife and I live near the battlefield (Guilford Courthouse National Military Park) and really enjoy walking around that.
Downtown has good food and breweries.
Country Park is connected to the battlefield and Science Center. There are playgrounds and walking paths there as well.
As mentioned many times before, the public golf in the Greensboro area is second to none.

Do you have specific areas of Greensboro you are looking at?

No. Definitely know WAY less about Greensboro/WS area.

Substitute Raleigh for Saint Paul and “my wife” for “long egregious winters” and I resonate with this.

1 Like

What kind of background? I am in an “engineering adjacent” role and we hire a lot of MEs. Hit me in the DMs if you don’t want to broadcast here.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Back off, I already called dibs.

3 Likes

Let’s see if he’s smart or not first. He might be a dummy, and you know I have dibs on the dummies.

1 Like

Anybody up for a round on the morning of 3/27 around Raleigh?

I grew up in Cary/Apex (lived in both towns at different points, it’s crazy how things have blown up with growth since my childhood and it’s basically all one big area now), went to State, now live in Greensboro and have for 7 years. Good stuff has already been discussed, I will echo avoiding a commute on I40 if at all possible. I used to live in Raleigh near the fairgrounds and commuted to Cary for work, it was amazing going the opposite way as the rush hour traffic on 440.

If you have any Greensboro specific questions I’ll do what I can to help. My wife is a teacher in Greensboro so she knows the good and bad Guilford County schools.