Roll Call: North Carolina

The only way I’ll play Mag is if it’s a free charity scramble tournament with free beer. That place sucks.

3 Likes

Is this a MegaCorp scramble?

Soooo who wants to play the muni tomorrow? Or oak island.

Cant get away from work until 2-3pm tomorrow unfortunately.

Sunday maybe?

I don’t see many people mention Reynolds Park, but I’ve heard Andy Johnson of TFE talk about it, mainly for it’s architectural merit. What is the general consensus? It’s about 3 hours for me, and I was thinking of making the drive. Is it worth it?

Thanks

I would not drive 3 hours to play it. It has potential (good bones) but city owned and needs some work. Play something like Tanglewood in the AM and Reynolds Park in the evening might be worth it.

1 Like

Hey folks – I am coming to your fine state in two weeks for some golf and should have open space in the tee times I’ve booked if anyone is interested in joining.

• Monday the 21st: Pine Needles in the AM, Mid Pines in the PM
  • Wednesday the 23rd: Tobacco Road 8am

Managed to sneak a spot on No. 2 on the Tuesday so very excited for that. If any of you are around and want to join at PN, MP, or TR let me know here or shoot me a DM. Nothing like some weekday golf with a Duck Clubber. Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

@Fluff loves it. Although pretty sure he would say not worth that drive. If you’re around sure play it but I do not particularly enjoy it myself. It’s not the worst course but certainly a handful of better options around.

I grabbed a 11:36 spot at No. 3 tomorrow if anyone wants to join. It sounded pretty open when I called this morning.

1 Like

Gonna tag @Hwhite in for this one as well

Reynolds park is a fun layout, cool greens, great views of downtown, very affordable. The conditions out there can be rully, rully tough sometimes though. I kind of agree it’s not worth a 3 hour drive, but if you really want to see a Maxwell design that’s a muni in every sense of the word, there are worse ways to spend an afternoon

@rvanculin

3 Likes

I think you hit the nail on the head for me with your last sentence. I’m trying to learn about golf architecture and I want to see a Maxwell. Unless someone has a hook at Old Town, it’s gotta be Reynolds, right? Haha.

Might make a 36-hole day with Cross Creek in Mt Airy, I like that place.

6 Likes

Need some North Carolinian expertise here. I’ll have 1 day-ish of nothing between a trip to the Highlands and driving to Augusta for the Tuesday practice round next month. Any suggestions on a WNC course in between Highlands (possibly Bryson City) and Augusta?

Dear god do not drive 3 hours to play Reynolds Park. It’s fun if in the area, but 30 minutes is pushing it.

1 Like

if you get me on at The Olde Farm, ill make it happen for you to get on OTC; you will really love Reynolds Park after playing OTC and seeing a lot of the similarities

the conditioning sucks at Reynolds Park, but its a cool spot…would def need to parlay it with a stop somewhere else to make the 3 hour drive worth while IMO

corss creek is cool though, i really enjoy that spot, especially the side the front is on along with the finishing holes

1 Like

I’ll keep you in mind if anything opens at The OF. I could’ve gotten you on last year, but don’t know when it’ll happen again.

I caddy there, so if you do get to play it, let me know, and I’ll answer any questions you have.

3 Likes

i like where this is going

1 Like

he aint getting on, on his own accord.

1 Like

Play Sky Valley. Wonderful course. Never gets enough attention. Cateechee on Lake Hartwell is also a great course on your route.

Andy Johnson has been really complementary of the routing at Reynolds Park, which if you’re keen to learn about architecture is a pretty key factor.

A good routing is a bit like that old judge’s comments about obscenity: “can’t define it but I know it when I see it”. A great or poor routing can be more evident IMO on a lesser course because there’s not all sorts of eye-catching features to distract you from whether the land is interesting, varied and engaging to play over.

Also if you are keen to learn about course architecture, Geoff Shackelford’s “Grounds for Golf” and Tom Doak’s “Anatomy of a Golf Course” are both terrific places to start.

3 Likes