Roll Call: North Carolina

No walking before 1pm on the weekends unless you pay the cart fee if I remember correctly. They used to have it up on their “golf news” public facing page but it’s not there any more

If you are willing to drive 90mins each way or so, its hard to beat Mimosa Hills in Morganton. The out of town membership is an extremely good value.

2 Likes

My club where I live now does a really good job at knowing what it is and what it offers. TFE often talks about courses having a strong sense of “place,” and that extends off the golf course as well. Not looking for a club with declining membership and rocks in the bunkers serving $45 steaks at dinner in the clubhouse.

Here’s a taste of Mimosa, 1929 Donald Ross that can be had under $200/month

3 Likes

river run is really good and has a fantastic practice area…home of davidson college golf program

1 Like

Also if you’re in the CLT chat, there should be people who are members at most of these (I haven’t seen any Pine Island people in there, which is one that is often recommended for younger folks)

I think we really need to push CCC, Myers Park, and CGC - we need more access!!

2 Likes

Unfortunately my grandfather was a teacher, not a railroad magnate

2 Likes

Warning: Wankers only

2 Likes

Cedarwood would be a great choice but I agree with you 100% - their initiation is ridiculous, and to hear the waiting list has jumped that much is crazy. I enquired at the end of August 2020 and was told 18 months was the waiting list, so clearly that didn’t put people off. I’m not going to sell you on Raintree since you know all about it, but I can tell you that both my wife & I love it. Laid back and fun. Whenever you move to South End, let me know & I’d be glad to meet for a drink.

3 Likes

Jealousy is an ugly colour on you, darling.

5 Likes

if it’s really true that CCC would take anyone who can write the check, i’m accepting donations

2 Likes

I joined Pine Island this spring and it definitely feels that the membership is on the younger end. I was double digit on the waitlist in April and am getting full access in Sep, so not too long of a line. Plus the waitlist membership gives you range & weekday course access, so all that is missing is booking weekend tee times. The practice facilities are great and the course is definitely an enjoyable step up from the local public courses. They will set you up with a trial round to check out the course

3 Likes

Nice may have to take them up on that. Limited options over here in Belmont.

Anyone know the whereabouts of @Joezwickl this weekend?

4 Likes

I’ve been looking into Pine Island, I know a few guys who joined up last year but haven’t been out to the course yet. As someone who does prefer to walk, the mandatory cart fee sucks. The Young Professional rate of $309/month and guest fees are pretty reasonable to their credit.

Interesting that they have an unaccompanied guest fee on that list their website says that all guests need to be accompanied

And yeah the cart fee does suck it definitely changes a lot of the math for me if it’s worth it

I’m giving this a second read now and realized that it’s talking specifically about guests here. You’re comments on the “no walking before 1pm on weekends w/o fee” may still ring true, though like you said, nowhere to be found on the website.

If I’m free to walk 5/9/or even 18 in the summers after work during the week, that’s more than okay with me. I can swallow $21 to ride 18 if I feel like playing in the morning Friday-Sunday. May have to submit the interest form and speak to someone to confirm what the deal is.

1 Like

I don’t know a ton about Pine Island, think I looked into both them and Pine Lake & still get confused about which one is which, so please take what I’m saying with a pinch of salt.
Those guest fees seem pretty high if you ask me, and to include the mandatory cart fee is flat-out ridiculous. If you’re never going to have guests out or make use of that, then of course it’s irrelevant, but that would put me off. For comparison, our weekend guest fee at Raintree is less than the weekday listed here. I could have a guest at Raintree on a Saturday, riding, and pay less than a lot of public courses are charging nowadays. Young Prof rate is also sub $300.

1 Like

last 5 privates I’ve been to out of town have all told me this. IDK if its trend or what but it sucks.

1 Like