Roll Call: North Carolina

Yeah man I’m all about a cheap round!

3 Likes

I’m bringing a crew from KY to Pinehurst - none of us have ever been. We are playing TR, #9,#4,Cradle, #2, #8. (9/5-9/8)

Any local tips on things we should do look for or not miss? (Outside of golf recommendations encouraged). If you find us I will have bourbon.

Just found out TR isn’t allowing caddies (or at least forecaddies any more?) hate to see that…

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of grabbing a beer in the basement bar at Dugan’s — great people watching on a weekend night.

If it is open when you have free time, check out the Tufts Archives in the Givens Library. Museum there has all sorts of Ross memorabilia and resort stuff you can’t see other places (check out the “caddie book”).

Cigars and brown liquor on the Carolina veranda.

SP downtown scene is cool—like many other locals I’m a big fan of grappling a SoPies pizza or chicken parm from Grinders and Gravy and carrying them into the Growler Co.(best beer selection in town).

5 Likes

Just an FYI, Dugans is closed right now. Not sure when they closed but they said they would be closed for 10-14 days due to COVID. I assume employees tested positive

2 Likes

Oh yeah, now I remember seeing that online. Still plenty of places to hang, no worries.

1 Like

We tried to order from Dugans last night but ended up going to Drum and Quill. Nice outdoor seating

1 Like

SoPies will deliver to the Growler co. And their Buffalo chicken pizza is unmatched

4 Likes

About a week out so I thought I’d post up my itinerary in case anyone wanted to join. It’ll be my wife and I, though she won’t be playing.

9/6- 3:00 @ Mid Pines (might try to add #3 for AM
9/7- #2, time TBD + cradle (hopefully)
9/8- 11:20 @ Tobacco Road (hopefully El Camino after)
9/9- 8:03 @ Southern Pines and 1:50 @ Longleaf
9/10 7:30 @ Pine Needles

6 Likes

Moving to CLT here shortly. Any CC recommendations? Will be living in South End, no wife no kids so looking for a golf-centric club with a “young exec” membership category.

Thanks!

Depends heavily on budget and propensity to tolerate a waiting list…. Several folks in here are members at Raintree. Cedarwood would be a good option as well, and they’re right across the road from each other so you can easily check out both. If you have deeper pockets, I’d look at Carolina Golf Club. Initiation has gone up recently, and they’re on a 2-3 year wait list, but it’s probably the most golf-focused club in the CLT area.

1 Like

Parents are members at Raintree so know all about it!

Cedarwood’s initiation is, frankly, offensive, and it’s up to a 3.5 yr waiting list

CGC is the white whale but probably unattainable right now.

Know nothing about the clubs north or west of the city(Palisades, Peninsula, River Run, etc), so if anybody has intel on those I’d be much obliged!

If you’re looking for more “budget friendly” and willing to drive (~25 min), I’m a member at Cabarrus CC and enjoy it. Super walkable course, fun MGA events, nice facilities. Know plenty of members that live in the areas closer to center city. Irish Creek is also great but out a bit too. Have heard good things about both Peninsula and River Run but don’t know much in terms of price/waitlist/etc. I know a few people that recently left Palisades because they were getting tired of management and are at Rock Hill CC now.

1 Like

Yeah, I think Cabarrus is going to be hard to beat here - it’s just as close to South End as any of the non-whale clubs, and probably better.

River Run is clubcorp, peninsula is called something else now. Palisades was enjoyable and in good shape but rates like a 2 on the naner walk scale

1 Like

avoid River Hills on Lake Wylie at all costs. Sure it’s golf centric but aimed at 60 year old Republicans who think mayonnaise is spicy.

2 Likes

I feel like you need to expand on this take, if only for the rest of us to enjoy

4 Likes

Pine Island? Heard their membership skews younger

Good suggestion. Have two friends that live in South Park/Myers Park that fit this description, and they enjoy it a good bit. Seems relatively reasonable price-wise as well.

1 Like

I was a member there in 2020 for 4/5 months because they ran a special for Junior Members with no initiation, and I was ready to stop playing public golf at that point. It’s a nice course, greens are usually in good nick, and not easy at all. Poor bunkers and poor range facility though. All the golf and the club’s operations are geared toward satisfying their older members, and that was just annoying. An old couple complained about my wife wearing a tanktop on the range - dumb AF. Granted it was SC, but their COVID protocols and measures were almost non-existent, and the number of ignorant arseholes I overheard talking about COVID, race, immigrants, etc. was too much.

Raintree has better conditions, is more relaxed as it understands where it sits on the hierarchy of private clubs in Charlotte, and actively encourages women/juniors to wear what they want if it means they will play. Sure there’s still a couple of old wankers but for the most part, it’s full of good people. A lot more fun is had at Raintree!

2 Likes

Was looking their a while back and they have a really dumb walking policy to ensure cart revenue. But other than that looks great

Interesting-didn’t know that. Walking only in the morning? I know one of my buddies likes to walk, but I’ve only heard him talk about walking in the afternoons. There are a few different loops you can take if you don’t have time or inclination to play 9. I have yet to play out there-will do so this fall. All of the facilities and practice areas look nice when I was out at an event there last month.