Roll Call: North Carolina

If you are a very good golfer, appreciate difficult, smallish greens tucked behind and alongside water hazards, and hit a high, soft left-to-right shot, then #9 is for you.

If not, any of the other options at the resort will be MUCH better.

#1 is great, low impact fun, and #5 has terrifically fun holes (just a little too much condo/house related OB for most people’s tastes). Hell you could replay #3 or any of the others if they’ll let you.

2 Likes

Do you still have a spot open on Sunday? If so I’ll take it.

1 Like

Unless @AirMailWedges has promised the spot to his friend already it is yours.

2 Likes

Nope, havent asked them… cya Sunday @Easydeal

1 Like

Just to make this more confusing for you, I was in Pinehurst two weeks ago for the first time ever and we played No.(s) - 4, 5, 8, and 9. 4 was far and away the best, everyone in my group agreed of course. No. 5 was a bit scruffy and felt more like a municipal course but that was good as we had played No. 8 in the morning (more on that later). No. 5 was shorter but still pretty open and everyone scored very well there if that matters. No. 8, I did not like No. 8 as much as I thought I was going to. It was by far the hardest course our group played and we all got ejected on the back (mostly due to firm greens that made it hard to land close to pins). As a 6 HDCP I can get around fine but certainly not a “good” player and I found No. 8 to be too exacting of a test.

No. 9 - Of course this could just be a nice private course in a lot of places and didn’t really have a pinehurst vibe (it is off property and was purchased by Pinehurst after it operated as Pinehurst National) so I will just compare it to No. 8 (which also did not have much of a Pinehurst vibe to me). I thought it was more playable (read: easier) than No. 8 and where I felt like it was clearly better were the Par 3s. It has bent greens that I felt rolled better than the other Pinehurst courses (no grain) and we were all making putts like crazy out there. So, in summary, maybe I am just butt hurt that I got destroyed by Pinehurst No. 8 but I have no desire to see that course again and feel like only 3 or 4 holes out there were “memorable” from a design perspective. No. 9 definitely has more variability in the hole layouts, to me, and couple that with the greens being more receptive I am very in on Pinehurst No. 9 (but still a good ways behind No. 4 and No. 2).

2 Likes

I’m see ya there.

Did you think the greens at #8 was what made it hard? Or something else?

For me, a 10 HCP, all the tucked greensites (near/behind water, etc) on #9 make it the pits.

2 Likes

Everyone’s mileage may vary but I hit a draw and hit the ball about the same at No 8 and No 9 (played them on back to back days). I shot 79 at No 9 and 89 at No 8. Number 8 (not that anyone cares what other people shoot) and everyone in our 4 some (6 HDCP, 8 HDCP, 10 HDCP, 18 HDCP) shot higher out at No 8 than No 9. 8, to me, is so much harder on and around the greens. Like approach shots would hit the center of the green (sometimes) and just get repelled. Both days were dry with no rain so it wasn’t down to condities I don’t think. The back 9 at No 8 just nuked everyone.

Totally agree on No. 5, it was a relaxing, fun course but there is some serious house encroachment on some of the houses, especially the dogleg right ninth hole. But I would play it over No. 8 all day.

2 Likes

Yep, I can see that. The greens at 8 have a lot more contour than they look from the fairways, and hot damn are they quick, especially when its firm/dry.

I saw a guy jack 2 balls OB right on the first tee of #5 in a tournament en route to a 99. Those white stakes will kill you.

2 Likes

Also, to your point, I once hit a 110 yard wedge to the center of the green on the 10th hole of #8, that sumbitch must have a trampoline in the middle of the green because my ball jumped 10 yards off the back. Double.

3 Likes

Thank you to everyone for the feedback on the Pinehurst Resort debate (keep it coming if you have more)! You’ve certainly given me a lot to consider and it sounds like some variety is good especially since our foursome has a wide range of handicaps (0, 2, 6, and 10). I may keep #9 in the lineup for the scratch in our group especially since he is a lefty and loves bentgrass. Also the 10 knows how to bring the big right miss into play so I’ll heed the information on #5 and probably avoid it for his sake. Also definitely going to temper expectations for a good round on #8 with this new information.

1 Like

That green on 10 is always like a rock!

2 Likes

Play #1 over #5 all day, especially as your 2nd course in a 36 hole day.

I love #1, but I also recognize it doesn’t measure up to the other “big boy” courses for a bucket list golf trip. It’s got some really fun/interesting tee shots though (3, 7, 8, 14, 15, 17) for a shorter course. And it’s just really relaxing and peaceful.

#8 and #9 definitely more “bucket list” type of courses, but #1 is really what the resort is all about and would be a shame to miss.

5 Likes

Only addition thing to note here is the bent greens on #9 are in the best condition now. If you are coming June-September his will not be the case. Too hot and humid for bent.

2 Likes

I can confirm with @BrooklynAJ just played #1 and #9 this past week in the pouring rain and fog and both were fun and challenging in their own way. #1 was a great opener, everything out in front of you, fairly easy in comparison to other #'s. #9 was a ton of fun and very challenging. Jack crushed your dreams if you mishit around the greens my scorecard can attest to that.

5 Likes

I will also defend #9. Although I hate it most of the time, it is awesome to play. It is different from other courses in that the greens are bent and difficult due to many sections/tiers. My other complaint is the par 4s are repetitive (lot of average length leg rights). Also in august bent isn’t the best. But they do a great job and have played in august with no issues.

Now to the good. I just think there’s cool holes. Two with trees in the fairway (just have to avoid with tee shot). 10 is one of my favorite holes anywhere. Mirror of 4 at TR but with water instead of sand (or #6 at Bay Hill). 9 is a really cool par 3. 2 is a cool/hard par 3 (IMO too hard for the 2nd hole of the course but it’s still cool regardless). The greens are really good despite being challenging.

Lastly, this matters to some people more than others but you can play a course that pros play. #9 has hosted lpga q-school as well as symetra events. This means you have the chance to hole out on 16 for eagle like Lauren did!

(I’ve only played 1-4, 9 so can’t speak to others but I think #9 is well worth playing)

3 Likes

To complicate things further, I’ve only played 7 once but I enjoyed it. It’s different from all the others, which can be positive or negative.

2 Likes

Booked Pinehurst #2, #4 & #8 for the end of April. Wife’s idea and I didn’t say No.
Will be visiting our son in Jacksonville and making the drive up. Google maps says it’s a 7 hour drive. Does that sound right?

Yes. Until they randomly take that 4 lane stretch of 95 down to 2 for no apparent reason.

2 Likes

8 Likes