Roll Call: North Carolina

looks like July the 25th or 26th dufus and I will be heading down that way

1 Like

My favorite Pizza place in WNC is right there in Columbus area. Wolverine Pizza. I coach football and we play Polk County High School and we always get pizzas from there for a post game meal. Super healthy for the athletes obviously.

2 Likes

@bigcat.diary I lived in Greenville for about 8 years. Loved playing at Ayden, Farmville, Cypress Landing, and Cotton Valley back in the day.

We have a couple guis in your area. The Carolinas RACDG chapter is also pretty active. DM me if you have interest in joining the Royal and Ancient Company of Dishonorable Golfers (RACDG)

1 Like

I have a 12:15 tee time Sunday at Mid Pines if anyone is interested. One spot open. Last day of the $50 aeration special.

3 Likes

Played Beau Rivage out near Carolina Beach for the first time yesterday. Interesting course with some major elevation changes for this area. Definitely a course when you want to switch things up from the coastal courses but canā€™t get out the Pinehurst area. The place is interesting, itā€™s sort of a hotel that they advertise as a resort. With some changes, it could be a really cool place. The range was awesome though, big and spacious and right behind the clubhouse and adjacent to the course. They just punched the greens so they cut the price, Iā€™d definitely go play again when the greens are back. Not a walkable course at all and they are very, very invested in maintaining pace of play.

Thinking about getting some lessons in Raleigh since I may try and slowly get back into competitive playing. Was as low as a +3 in high school/college, but am back up to a 2 or 3 now. Wondering if any of the Raleigh folks have any suggestions on instructors around town? Dona Lerner, Mike Sullivan, etc? Thanks!

Iā€™ve used Mike Sullivan and heā€™s really only good for a true beginner. Wouldnā€™t recommend him for someone looking to get to scratch or better.

Tom Ream is the head pro at Prestonwood. Heā€™s been great for me and a few others on here. He has a killer facility with trackman and on course lessons available. That said Iā€™m not at your level so YMMV. Iā€™d give him a shot if youā€™re going to try out a few.

Others recommend the pros at Lonnie Poole as well. Good luck!

Idk what weight those things actually hold but I think one of the guys at Lonnie Poole is top rated teacher in NC

Chase Duncan teaches a ton of high-level amateurs and pros around here (Akshay Bhatia being the ā€œbigā€ name) and is based out of Lonnie Poole, seems to be very highly regarded. That being said I think his hourly rate is crazy high.

Iā€™ve worked with Tom Ream and heā€™s good, as @Just-a-little-right said has a nice facility as well.

Just dependsā€¦ what are you looking to work on and get out of/improve on from the lessons?

1 Like

Chase is probably who @Very.chipper is referring to.

Do you have to be a member at Prestonwood to see Tom?

Awesome. Thanks to you both @Very.chipper for the recs.

Nah neither of us are members.

You can use this to book a lesson: https://calendly.com/tomream

1 Like

Iā€™m honestly not sure the guyā€™s name at Lonnie Poole I can see if I can find it. And Iā€™d suggest calling Preston wood and having Tom call you back. Heā€™s super nice you can speak to him on the phone and gauge a bit.

1 Like

Noob to the site here. Live just across the border from Charlotte in Indian Land. Lived in Charlotte for 28 years until moving here in 2018. Played out of Raintree for a couple years. Thinking of joining Firethorne after Covid lets up.

2 Likes

I believe @Hitchings21 was a member at firethorne so can provide insights if necessary. Iā€™m ClubCorp in Winston at Bermuda Run so if you do join then come on up. Iā€™m also yet to get down to play there. Otherwise Iā€™m no help for anything in CLT.

1 Like

I played Tanglewood many many moons ago and enjoyed the abuse it inflicted on my nascent and troubled game.

@Blackngold35 will play Tanglewood with you if you want to get abused again lol. We played it together a bit ago and is in great shape. Aerating this week but otherwise

Happily @Shank-Ri-La.
I think theyā€™re raising rates slightly but you can still walk for less than $40 on weekdays. Hard to beat. Will definitely be back once the greens heal up.

We need 2 triangle area guis for a RACDG match play tournament in the Triangle.

Please let us know if you are interested.

1 Like