Roll Call: North Carolina

What’s up Michael. Welcome! @Blackngold35 and I are in Winston. I play at Bermuda Run and Phil plays Tanglewood mostly. We’re organizing something in GSO at Bryan Park for 7/19 if you have interest. Shoot us a message and we’ll get together!

2 Likes

welcome Michael!

im in HP and play all over the triad as well. hope to see you around sometime

2 Likes

Welcome! Cardinal does have public tee times through GolfNow, but if you ever want to get on for the guest rate, I think it’s $35, shoot me a message and we can set up a game.

5 Likes

does that not go into the hazard? Doesn’t look like much room there. The course totally blows though.

I put a charlotte area course ranking somewhere on this site but can’t find it, if anyone knows where that is, send me the link so I can demote Verdict Ridge (and add Carolina Lakes directly above Birkdale), I probably put it high up.

2 Likes

Depends on the tees… the rough in front almost always stops it from going in that hazard though. I think it’s a perfect risk reward tee shot. If you hit a good one on line, you have a flip wedge in. If you miss right, left, or even lay up on top of the hill, you have a shitty angle coming in and much harder shot.

I’m biased because I worked there in college, but it grows on you. The course rewards good shots and aggressive play but makes it significantly harder the more you lay up and play safe.

1 Like

Been looking for tee times using their site for the past couple of weeks and haven’t been able for one to meet my schedule yet.

Normally walk when playing by alone. Is the course walkable and do they let people walk who get a tee time through those?

Thanks!

yes, it is definitely walkable and they let people walk who book through golfnow

@alexshreff and i walked when we played last summer

there are some long gaps from greeens to the next tee that are kind of annoying and some doubling back you have to do; im sure if you are with someone who has played the course regularly, they will have a better plan of attack to the walk

we seemed to have a bunch of wasted steps on a few holes, its got some elevation change to it, but i was able to walk it no issues and im not someone who walks that regularly

2 Likes

I concur. Couple spots where you need to pay attention to where the next tee is so you can leave your bag in a good spot and not waste energy carrying it all the way up to the green, like 3 green to 4 tee. There are some elevated greens that have a bit of an incline to walk up, but nothing too drastic.

Part of the course is in a flood plain/valley, so if there is significant rain it does take a few days to dry out properly, it can get really muddy in winter.

2 Likes

it was the blind leading the blind out there when we played…im sure we walked a bunch of unnecessary steps in the process

pretty sure @alexshreff commented on how dumb pete dye was for some of the layouts and the excessive amount of hazards on the course

1 Like

Is Pete Dye the Quentin Tarantino of golf course architecture?

4 Likes

had never thought of it in those terms…its quite possible

i actually like QT though, PD on the other hand, not so much

RIP though Pete

1 Like

Who in the world thinks “You know what would make this hole better? Water lining every fairway - on both sides! It’ll be great!”

Eff that course (although if I played it a few more times I’d probably find some aspects I really enjoyed)

4 Likes

Very very much a mickey mouse design

1 Like

Winston here too. Welcome!

1 Like

F pete dye yeah for real

dude musta been into BDSM

1 Like

ThCardinal has limited public tee times as you’ve found out. I play there a lot and live the course. I’d suggest just calling a making a time. They have a separate walking rate which is very reasonable.

4 Likes

Beaufort Club over Brandy but Morehead City CC over both. Beaufort Club is a Bob Moore design same as my home track, Cutter Creek.

2 Likes

When we played it in college shortly after it opened a guy on our team said he knew why it was named The Cardinal- if you put the greens together like a jigsaw puzzle you got a cardinal.

3 Likes

Thanks! Great advice! I will do this soon.