Roll Call: New Orleans

Katie’s is a must. There’s also Neyow’s in Mid City that’s dope.

I personally like Cafe du Monde late night after dinner and a few drinks. It’s usually dead and you can get some of their beignets with ease instead of dealing with the morning traffic.

That’s also around the time I go to The Dungeon, a chill heavy metal bar down a cool little alley with a no-camera policy.

2 Likes

Go listen to the NOLA TrapDraw from a year or two ago.

1 Like

Forgot they did one. Thanks!

Folks, I’ll be in Covington, LA the week of 2/13 for work.

I am slotting in time for 18 holes of golf Thursday, February 16 before I fly out of MSY at 5:45 pm that night.

Recommendations? Thoughts? Invites???

Appreciate it. :pray:

I’ll be out of town that week.

Haven’t played on the North Shore in quite a while. Always used to love Abita Springs Golf Club; I believe they closed during COVID and were getting to reopen at some point. However, I don’t know if they ever did. Covington Country Club used to be a nice little track, but I’ve heard they kind of let it go to shit recently.

If you’re only playing golf Thursday then heading to the airport and have a car, you can get to the South Shore and play and still make it to the airport.

If you watched Strapped, that’s where you would find Audubon and Bayou Oaks. Bayou Oaks South Course is open now and is in MUCH better shape than the North course. I love the North Course, but the greens are painfully slow and it does not drain well.

My Dad is a member at Lakewood and its my favorite course in the area, but they up the price on non Louisiana residents and I don’t know if it is worth what they charge. If you’re interested in it, I can probably get him to set you up with a reduced rate. I could also see if he wants to play with you.

Joe Bartholomew is another favorite of mine. It’s a nice little track. Joe Bart was one of the first black golf architects. He worked under Raynor, and designed this course as well as Metairie Country Club. Metairie CC just underwent a complete renovation and it looks SICK. They’re fully private though. I believe they do some of that cross club stuff, so if you have a membership somewhere you may want to give them a call and just see if they would let you on.

Shoot me a message if you want me to reach out to my Pops.

1 Like

Great insight. Very helpful. My boss lives in the area and is going to effort to see if she knows anyone at Metairie CC. I can also try the ol’ club pro call from my club and see if that has any sway. I love Raynor stuff, so that seems like choice #1. Joe Bartholomew is someone I actually was aware of previously and would be happy to see that place. One of my few topics ever created on this forum is related to Joe Bartholomew actually!

Seems like both are good spots too. Cruise across the lake early Thursday morning. Catch a tee time, then MSY is very close by!

I second Joe Bartholomew. Fun, quirky layout. Usually in good shape for the price (haven’t played there in about a year though) and during the week it shouldn’t be too busy

Money Hill on the Northshore is also pretty nice from what I hear. But I believe it is fully private

1 Like

Beau Chen is private but you might be able to swing something. Could be worth a call. Maybe the old “I might be moving here bit”. They have 2 - 18s.

The last time I was home I managed to get out there for the first time is like…15 years and it was completely dead.

1 Like

I think I can help you out. Shoot me your info. What time of day are you thinking? This also right in the middle of Carnival.

3 Likes

If we’re inviting people out to MCC… I can make a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday work.

When are they going to open up the weekends to guest play?

1 Like

I’m always available for an MCC invite

3 Likes

Let’s just storm the fences! They can’t stop up us all. Meet me on Airline at 7:30 AM next Monday!

2 Likes

I was renting off of Airline back behind Hurwitz Mintz while we were trying to decide where to buy. It was during the renovation, and they didn’t have a fence up during it. I had to drive home from work everyday looking at it. Was tempted to empty the down payment savings account and join up. Damn wife and kids.

1 Like

Haha, have you had a chance to play it yet?

Not yet, you? Hoping to get out there this spring/summer.

Yeah, played it in October on my birthday. Greens are massive, and really fun.

Saw some of y’all discussing Metairie Country Club and figured I’d ask, is it worth coming over from Houston to play? My father’s sad of family is from the area and been meaning to go back for a while now and figured I’d ask about MCC because the little nuggets I’ve heard sound excellent. Probably the only Seth Raynor that’s reasonable close and with some luck front my assistant pro, actually accessible.

https://twitter.com/LinksGems/status/1569508949388312577

2 Likes

The new greens are fantastic. Layout still boring but they tweaked enough during the renovation to make it somewhat interesting.Template holes are always a blast to play. Definitely a must play if in New Orleans although it doesn’t have much competition.

The original layout (designed by Joe Bartholomew) had pretty much zero Raynor features/influence. I guess it counts, but it’s a far stretch to consider it a Raynor course.

2 Likes

Raynor design Bartholomew construction. Confirmed by historians at the Raynor society.

2 Likes