Roll Call: New Orleans

Is it okay to admit that I am not all that impressed with the South Course? Nice to have a new course in the area, but no way they could move the Zurich here. Rumor has it English Turn is about to undergo a big renovation to the greens, bunkers, and a few other items. Would be cool to see them buck their head and snatch the tournament back to its home.

1 Like

I actually havenā€™t played here yet. Play a lot at Ormond in Destrehan. Iā€™ll have to holler when I hit em at your club.

Itā€™s OK to admit because I am not that impressed either. If I am going to pay that kind of price to play Iā€™ll play Lakewood.

Iā€™ve yet to play English Turn, I had been wanting to play there so my wife had called them and booked me a round there for Fatherā€™s Day last year a month or so before and the day before my round they called her to tell her they made a mistake and it was Members Only day and they cancelled my tee time. That whole situation kinda put me off to them.

I play Audubon the most cause itā€™s right by my house, and then after Bartholomew and Lakewood are tied.

1 Like

I played a few times after they opened and was just ecstatic to have a breath of fresh air in our small golf community. Once I played the course when it was wet, I immediately realized that I had been dooped and it was just a prettier north course!

I love English Turn. A good friend of mine is a member there so I will say that I am spoiled by being able to play there when he is home from work. Great course to walk in the evenings.

Audubon is a course that I wish I could play more. I am located in the Metairie/Kenner area so I usually play out here. Letā€™s get a round in at Joey B. I refer to that muni as my home course as it is where I play the most rounds.

Yo, first time posting here. Used to play City Park a lot, but now primarily play at MCC. About a 20 handicap who just really got the bug bad and now working on those bad habits the handicap down. Havenā€™t played the new TPC heard it hasnā€™t changed much but conditions are supposed to be superb. Would love to take a trip down to LaTour.

1 Like

MCC is a hoot. Play out there from time to time with a friend of mine who is a member.
Refugee trip to LaTour also sounds like a hoot.

Fellow New Orleans & New Orleans Area Refugees:

Letā€™s get ourselves a meet-up scheduled before the rainy, summer season hits. Not sure how many locals we have, but I am going to drop the @s for people that I have seen/communicated with to get the word out. I think that this would be a good thread to kick around dates and courses as well as get a tentative number of people. I do not mind handling the logistics, pricing, etc. for this meet-up. Iā€™ll start by rattling off a few options for courses and yā€™all let me know if there would be anything more suitable for this type of event. Once we can get something locked up we can discuss post round food and beverage locations.

Courses:
Audubon Park
Joseph Bartholomew
LaTour
English Turn
Chateau
Cypress Lakes (Ormond)
City Park (South Course)
Oak Harbor
TPC Louisiana
Another Option - there are some good courses on the coast in Mississippi if anyone would be up for the drive.

Invitations (feel free to drop more @s if I miss anyone):
@SoniatCCNola
@LivingLagunaLoca
@CartPathOnly
@Quibbler
@Chipnputt86
@GorseMagnet
@Gwfool
@LadyWave
@ltrisler

Hope we can make this work, yā€™all!

1 Like

Fantastic idea. I live in Monroe though but will be in the New Orleans area April 4th and 5th.

1 Like

10-4! Hopefully we can get some more people. If you know anyone else who would be interested just mention them in this thread. Long term vision is to eventually get a meet up in a good location for all Louisiana Refugees.
If it falls through or the aforementioned dates do not work, Iā€™ll hit the links with you down here.

1 Like

Sounds good, i have a few buddies that we can throw in the mix!

I love the South Course redo. But i love English Turn that much more. If that place could get a reno then it would be choice. I imagine its tough to keep in great shape with all that salt in the air.

I play out there a good bit. They had new ownership take over about a year ago and helped turn some things around. Rumor has it that they are planning a renovation for the greens. I think they are going to expand and resod the greens. Not confirmed, just what Iā€™ve heard.

That would be dope for english turn to return to glory.

1 Like

Itā€™s a sick course. Some people hate on it for how small the greens are, but itā€™s a challenging course. I know they still host some collegiate tournaments out there. Would be cool to see them get in the USGA am game.

Im a big green complex guy, which is why im fond of South Course but i think the layout of the course and greens at English Turn make it more fun that South Course. Being from Monroe, we visit New Orleans a lot but i admittedly had never heard of some of the courses you guys have mentioned.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the initiative on this. As long as you donā€™t mind a high-handicapper, Iā€™d love to join in.

I live in the city, but donā€™t mind traveling for a round of golf.

1 Like

Metairie Country Club has phenomenal green complexes. Itā€™s a Seth Raynor course. Look it up on blue golf and youā€™ll see. Totally private though. Iā€™ve only played it a handful of times.

Come one, come all. No handicap discrimination here! Once we get some good commits on the thread Iā€™ll draft up a list, course, dates, etc.

2 Likes

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/metairiecc/overview.htm

Id love to get my mitts on a Raynor course. Our new assistant pro is from NOLA and family is members at NOCC and previously at Metarie and said how much he loved the greens at Metarie. Id love to get a hookup to play either one of those clubs.