Roll Call: New Hampshire

Just sent an Instagram message. I’m playing Hooper next Tuesday, my first time there. Looking forward to seeing the course!

1 Like

I just finished 18 holes at Hooper. Fun 9 hole course and in great shape.

2 Likes

Lots of Hooper love out here. Any of y’all drive down and play Bretwood in Keene? Grew up playing there. Afternoon rounds in the summer on the North course are idyllic.

1 Like

Really hoping courses are open to outsiders in June and July. Not sure how the spread is gonna go with stuff opening up again. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

I typically play Bretwood. I’m moving in August and Hooper was the last course in the area for me to play. I couldn’t miss it.

1 Like

I think 10, 11, 12 and 14, 16 and 17 are some of the prettiest Golf holes on the North course. South is not as picturesque, although back nine is a beast from the golds.

Love that you guys are loving Hooper!!!
I live right in Walpole so definitely reach out if swinging by.

Welcome!
I’ve never played Portsmouth but heard it’s a great course. I wonder how long the foam lasts before it needs to be replaced. And that is way better than the lifting the cup so the all doesn’t go in that originally was proposed by a lot of clubs.

Morning all,

recently just took a position with my company that will require me to relocate to the New England area and Portsmouth has caught my eye early… wondering if anyone has any local recommendations for both public and private clubs in that area?

backstory - 25 years old, a great golfer (in my own right) going on year 2 and change at my private club up in central NY. Have loved every second of being a member and would love to try and keep that sort of experience moving forward! cheers!

6 Likes

My uncle is a member at Cochecho and I’ve always enjoyed it. Abenaqui is another favorite of mine up there. No idea on rates or the membership vibe though.

Been a while since I’ve lived up there, but here’s what I recall being good clubs (no particular order)

1. Portsmouth CC - always one of the best in the state (I think it’s still private)
  2. The Oaks (Public in Dover/Somersworth) - great layout, good conditions, great practice facility
  3. Abenaqui - (Private) across the street from the ocean in Rye
  4. Wentworth by the Sea (Private) - right on the marsh, I can’t recall the town, but I think it’s Newcastle
  5. Golf Club of New England (Private) - Stratham
  6. Old Marsh (semi Private) - Wells Maine, don’t know about this one much.

Sorry there aren’t more public choices, It’s just been too long to jog my memory.

1 Like

If I recall Portsmouth CC allows public play now.

Other public tracks…

Breakfast Hill - fine daily fee
Exeter - fun nine holes

Wentworth is in Rye.

I’ve played 33 courses in NH and I wouldn’t limit yourself to just Portsmouth @highflopsonly. I know you probably weren’t but the state is so small you can get anywhere.

If I were you, I’d hold off joining a club until you have had a chance to play them all. Like the others have said, there are a lot of quality courses in that area.

Breakfast Hill is semi-private and would be a good course to join to hold you over until you find a permanent home course. Some of those listed above, good luck waiting on the wait list.

I recently saw an advertisement for York CC trying to recruit younger members (25-35 or so) and it appeared to be an affordable option for a membership. About 20-25 minutes north of Portsmouth, I believe it’s an old Donald Ross layout.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Will be sure to take a peak

Looking like the trip to NH will be no golf for me in a couple weeks.

No golf?! That sucks. You know out of staters can now play right? Well hopefully you can sneak out and play a round or two.

I didn’t see that. When did that update happen???

Friday!

2 Likes

Also, all driving ranges, Pro Shops, are open and the benches, bunker rakes, ball washers etc. are back out as well.
https://www.nhgolfassociation.org/NH-Course-Reopening-Info.html