Roll Call: New Hampshire

Hey guys, any public recommendations for 8 fairly serious golfers to play in June before my wedding near Lake Sunapee? Lake Sunapee CC isn’t taking any outside play.

1 Like

I don’t know the lakes region all that well but if I was going to be on vaca up there and play I would drive the hour to Owl’s Nest. Really fun mountain course with outrageous views.

Appreciate it, but I’ll need to keep it within 20-30 min of New London

I would definitely have a look at Montcalm and Eastman. Both are within 30 min. from New London.

Montcalm has a hole-by-hole tour on their website.

Montcalm

1 Like

I played a few holes at Montcalm as a single before running out of time and bailing. Not sure we want to subject ourselves to that beating for everyone’s first time around.

Country Club of New Hampshire seems well reviewed and looks practically free. Thoughts?

Lochmere could work!

I am planning to play with some high school buddies in 2 weeks around the Nashua area.
Any course suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Waukewan is closer to Winnipesaukee, but is fun and cheap.

Owls Nest is great.

Lochmere is ok, not an easy walk. Take a cart

Souhegan, Amherst, Passaconaway, Overlook, Green Meadow, all fine… Nothing going to be super objectionable, nothing going to be super great either. My recommendation would be Campbell’s Scottish Highlands in Salem - fun course, not too long, mostly open with big greens, a couple nifty short 4s, and solid conditioning - about 20-25 mins from Nashua… or Butter Brook in Westford, MA about 30 mins from Nashua - great public course with two very different (but distinctly cool) nines and of course the infamous 17th.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!

I second this…altho I would put Passaconaway a cut above the others mentioned. Campbells and butterbrook are both real fun. If you are looking to spend a little more to play a better course - Red Tail in Devens, MA (30-40 minutes from Nashua) would be my recommendation.

1 Like

Red Tail very poor condition for the money lately.

Butter Brook is the best play. Passaconway second.

Great to know. I haven’t been in 4 or 5 years. Also…I would probably stay away from overlook and souhegan. Unless things have changed they are notoriously slow rounds.

What’s going on at Red Tail? When did you last play?

I heard the opposite from someone that played it roughly 2-3 weeks ago.

I ask because I’m playing there early Monday morning…

Last year was not great. Heard it second hand a couple weeks ago that it wasn’t much better.

Could be wrong, I haven’t seen it myself, but there was some comments in the NE RADCG chat that it still wasn’t up to standard for a $100+ round.

Agreed with comments above… Butter Brook > Campbell’s > Passaconaway > others mentioned… Played Red Tail last year in August, was not in great shape and have heard it’s gotten worse. Layout is fantastic but unfortunately not sure it’s worth the price at the moment.

It’s a bit of a hike from Nashua, but Bretwood GC in Keene is a very fun 36 hole complex (actually 37 holes) that can be had at a reasonable rate.

Not a NH resident. In Chicago at the moment, but moving to Bangor, ME in August. But my wife’s family has an old farm house in Freedom, NH, and we get there a few times a year. Anyways, last summer I played Province Lake Golf Course, just across the border in ME, and while everything but the greens were in pretty rough shape, I thought the layout was fantastic. If any of y’all have recommendations for courses in that part of the state, would love to hear. Will be there for a week in late August.

Hey thanks everyone. We are going with Butter Brook, looking forward to it.

2 Likes