Roll Call: Nashville (Spring Match Play Post 1319)

Y’all find a fourth? Still planning on playing? Wife’s work is bringing me to Franklin/Nashville the 2nd - 4th. Park Mammoth has me intrigued. Would be looking to play there that Saturday morning.

1 Like

Haven’t heard back from @jcw1993 yet, but sounds like (weather permitting) we have 3 already with you, me, and @StayStrapped! What time would work for everyone? It’s about a 2 hour drive for me, so I would prefer after 10am. Lol

I unfortunately had something pop up. I am going to have to take a rain check. Please let me know if this happens again.

1 Like

I’m out of Nashville originally from Lexington. Would love to check PM out. Also play with y’all in Nashville this spring

2 Likes
1 Like

finally

some guy from chatt that built a nine holer might have himself another job

Shit he’s already started

1 Like

What’s the word?

Actually decided to get in a round Friday afternoon at Franklin Bridge as I have to get a little work done that morning. Called and booked a single at 12:06.

Now I need a place to watch the USA match saturday morning at 10am. Probably heading towards downtown somewhere. I know Nashville is an awesome soccer city.

1 Like

I know that party fowl in Donnelson is the LFC bar down there. Can’t speak to USMNT. Also was meaning to come in and let you know that I wouldn’t be able to head down anymore. Got a grad school competency exam scheduled for 2 that afternoon.

Hey all, headed down to Sweetens for the first time in late February. Still debating on flying to Nashville and driving down or just sucking it up and driving the whole way from Columbia, MO. If I fly will be flying in on 2/21, Sweetens 2/22, 2/23 in Chattanooga, fly home 2/24. Looking for a strapped-esque course to play morning of 2/24 before flying back. Is Old Fort in Murfreesboro decent enough to play on the way down on Tuesday?

2 Likes

Old Fort is too nice for Strapped. If you want the real strapped experience, go to Shelby Park.

1 Like

I would play Sewanee on the way down to Sweetens.

For a Strapped experience I would play Harpeth Hills or Ted Rhodes. If you play TR, read up on who Ted Rhodes was - The Life and Times of Ted Rhodes - The Fried Egg

1 Like

I MUST step in here and recommend you do not go to Shelby. (1) They will still be on winter greens which are, essentially, unputtable. (2) It is a difficult and not fun walk (I always walk it but man it sucks) (3) There are a number of blind tee shots which isn’t the most fun for a first time round and (4) We have some decent municipals here and that is by the far the worst one. The only upside is you would be one of the few people out there (most likely) and could probably play in 2-3 hours. I am not trying to start a fight with @pearcebarr who is surely a nice person but Shelby is an acquired taste.

You can walk any of our munis for about $34 on the weekends or $28 during the week. Harpeth Hills is the “nicest” and most challenging muni. Ted Rhodes (quirkier with a cool history) and Two Rivers (more walkable) are in between and McCabe is the easiest (very short, no real trouble anywhere but the greens roll quite well).

1 Like

Old fort is a city course that you can walk for 45 bucks…it’s perfect for a “strapped” stop!

I didn’t think about the winter greens, that is a good point. The walk isn’t too bad, it’s just the hill getting back to the clubhouse on 9 and 18 that is awful. Saying Shelby is the worse muni is plain wrong, though. It is easily in the worst shape out of all of our muni’s and needs a major facelift, but it is the best golf course - far and away.

Harpeth hills is leaps and bounds better than Shelby…

tbh Shelby is a shit hole lol

1 Like

so we don’t steer you in the wrong direction, are you
flying into Nashville or into chatt?

If you drive, the easy answer is stop at sewanee and stay somewhere near there…then wake up go to sweetens play all day. Stay somewhere near sweetens (don’t go all the way to chatt - the traffic sucks, there is a time change from central to eastern, and you’ll be driving at least an hour to your hotel after your day at the cove…)

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a golf course. As for me, I really don’t care much about conditioning. I would rather see a golden age era golf course that has interesting architecture/landforms, and offers a variety of shots vs. a course that is in good shape, but doesn’t offer anything unique, interesting, or distinct. Harpeth is a really good golf course and plays super difficult, but is rather unremarkable.