Roll Call: Nashville (Spring Match Play Post 1319)

Probably why the GN deals were so good. Nevermind then. As I said above I just moved to Nashville recently and have heard nothing but good things about Gaylord Springs since I moved here. Any opinions on The Hermitage courses?

I have only played General’s Retreat and I really enjoyed it. It’s pricey for sure but there are some strategic par 5s, the greens were great last time (and this was on Jan 1, 2020) although you can really be in trouble if you land on the wrong part of the green and have to putt downhill and overall the layout is interesting. President’s Reserve looks more forgiving for landing zones for tee shots but I didn’t think General’s Retreat was tight or tricky.

You are a little before me, I think. I am in the 5:15 - 5:30 crowd. Sometimes I can slip out at 4:30 and be at VL by 4:45.

Hermitage over Gaylord all day for me. Love their 5th round for free program and having all the range balls covered with your fee.

Called 12 Stones today and talked with them for a little about their plan to close the course due to the virus and they confirmed it will take a government act mandating them to shut down the course.

Apparently Old Fort has closed its doors for the next two weeks…

Just got an email that they are closing Metro Parks starting at 4:30 PM today until April 6th.

Well shit…

Welp at least the weather seems like it will be shit for the foreseeable future…

I played 9 at Percy Warner at 4 pm and can confirm the conditions were terrible.

GREAT NEWS amid all the nonsense. Metro confirmed they will keep golf courses, parks, and dog parks will remain open. Citizens have been asked to use social distancing protocol.

1 Like

I just drove by Shelby yesterday. It’s crazy to see it now without the massive trees. (I just played it about 3 weeks ago with my kids.) I actually like it more without the trees. It’s a lot easier to appreciate the hills and rolling terrain.

Country Hills is probably the most appropriately-named course. I like the course, I would not walk it though. The only hole I do not like is #3. It’s been 15 years since I’ve played it but I remember it as being a target golf par 4 where I had to hit 9i-9i or something silly like that. It’s a 90* dogleg left. The landing area is very tight with woods short and left and water long.

I’d be up for a meetup there.

I think I am going to hit up 12 stones Saturday around 11ish…Not sure yet might hit up two rivers and walk18. That course is so easy to walk…I would never walk twelve stones…

Metro Parks golf courses are closed as @VandyLand noted so Two Rivers is out.

I’ll see if I can make 12 Stones work. I’m forecasting some trouble getting out in the immediate future as my wife is on Day 13 of having our kids at home from school. If I was to leave to play golf I might find the door locked when I return.

My wife is also a bit of a wildcard in all this but I will float it right after I finish doing something helpful like cloroxing the handles in the house for the 5th time this week. Might be a run on carts if it is busy especially if they go for the 1 person 1 cart social distancing route. @Boomersooner523 , I am a card carrying member of the push cart mafia but it looks like 12 Stones has some intense elevation changes, right?

12 Stones is not the easiest walk but I would probably walk as a member of the PCM as well. I need the exercise. We could always choose somewhere flatter like Hermitage. They would probably let us walk but it might need to be late afternoon, like after their twilight rates start. Who knows, maybe all courses just want people to come out and give them business so they might be more lenient.

@VandyLand

Yeah not the easiest elevation wise but the spacing between the holes is a bit long at some points as well. Very typical subdivision layout that is not walking friendly.

I am always down to walk. Just got to pack whiskey instead of beers to keep the weight down.

I bet courses will let you walk at any given time in the current state of affairs…I could be very wrong though.

$60 to walk General’s Retreat on Saturday 11 am even though it will likely be wet I may just go ahead and book it as I think I can cancel 24 hours in advance and be fine if it keeps raining like it is right now (noon) through Friday night.

edit: It is a 48 hour cancellation policy which is strict but I’ll allow it.

second edit: I will be out at Hermitage around 9 am on Saturday if it stops raining long enough for the course to be playable. Planning on walking.