Roll Call: Morris/Essex County NJ

Has anyone been to The Clubhouse in Fairfield? Looks like a pretty sweet spot for this time of year.

Yea, I went once or twice last winter. Cool spot, especially if you go when some games are on, since each bay has their own TV. You can bring food and beers, or at least you could. I seem to recall a decent size putting green unassociated to the monitors.

Was Rock Spring actually open yesterday? Still quite a bit of snow on the ground…

@brutalbaum mentioned the Anchor simulator. A friend and I used it a few years ago. Was a lot of fun. Way more privacy (and cheaper) than the CC on Route 46. Only one simulator so make a reservation.

Was closed - disappointed that they gave us no warning and didnt pick up the phone (there was no one even at the pro shop). We ended up having to call an audible and went to Hyatt Hills. 9 of us and course was empty so we went out as a foursome and a fivesome for 9 holes, was a good time.

1 Like

Not surprised that they were closed, but that sucks on the lack of communication. They have a perfectly good website that would be very easy to use for open/closed announcements, if nothing else.

Live in Summit, and was lucky to have the summer off from work (in-between jobs). Rock Spring was my go-to… by far the best local public course - and $42 when walking. Byrne good but slow. Weequahic also good - nothing fancy, but good layout. Ash Brook has so much potential, but slow rounds and terrible conditions. Also tried Neshanic and Architects which were ok. Both in good condition, but neither wowed me. Solid options. Skyway in Jersey City a great 9-hole option. Once we get into spring, then would be open to a meet up somewhere.

2 Likes

Welcome, I am also in Summit. Definitely down for a round once it warms up or potentially a simulator session over the winter. Quite a few of us in the area.

2 Likes

I’m down for a simulator session as well!

Has anyone done a golf weekend out at Crystal Springs (Ballyowen, Wild Turkey etc.)? Thinking about a guys weekend in the early spring. The stay and play deals on the website don’t look like they are a great value. Wondering if anyone had any tips.

Played a lot of random rounds at Bally, Wild Turkey and Black Bear. Hard to find good value. BB is affordable but usually 5 hour rounds. Search the web for discounts and offers (usually restricted to mid-week or late Sundays) and play some rounds. Bally is special place so worth it if you can cut the price down slightly.

Thanks for the info. Any idea if it worth staying at the resort if I wanted to make a weekend out of it? Other options for places to stay? AirBnB and Vrbo options don’t look great.

Where would you be coming from? Understand you may have this spot in mind in particular but for a weekend/overnight/stay and play there’s probably other options within a similar drive.

Anyone ever play/stay at Shawnee Golf Resort? Tillinghast’s first solo design, always see coupons/discounts online. Tempted to get out there for a weekend in the spring

I’ll respond to a few posts…Crystal Springs is nice but it is probably not a great value. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey are great courses but not cheap to play. I stayed there with my wife and we enjoyed both and also liked the dining options at the resort. As far as Shawnee, we stayed there back in 2016 and can leave some feedback. We enjoyed the resort and based on the website it looks like they renovated the rooms. It is an older resort but the staff were friendly and the grounds and surrounding area were nice as well. As far as the course, it was an older one with a lot of history but not great. We enjoyed our round at Great Bear more (about 15 mins away)

It’s going to be in the 60’s this weekend. Anyone want to get a round in Saturday morning? @DMB @CMPTosh @Sputz ?

Also, played Hendricks field last weekend twice, once each with @Gdasilva11 and @ThePowerFade …thought it was a very fun layout, some really cool greens. Byrne gets all the love - and is really good - but feel like Hendricks getting so overlooked is a shame.

3 Likes

Hendricks was siiiick. The greens are really cool and if it’s firm could be devastating in the wrong spot. Easier walk than Byrne, not that Byrne is particularly difficult compared to day Ballyowen. Plus you’ll likely run into a fun group of locals who always have a towel at the ready

Are you looking to play Hendrick’s this weekend? I’m a strong maybe. Haven’t updated my county card for 2020 yet, but would certainly still consider it. Keep me posted!

Would play anywhere in the area. Think Byrne is closed for the season. Hendricks was like $30 to walk, which was pretty nice. Would drive somewhere, too.

2 Likes

Also, re: Hendrick’s, it gets a bad rap because it’s flat and “boring” but it has it’s share of interesting holes. I only wish the county would put half the maintenance and upkeep into it as they do for Byrne as conditioning can suffer quite a bit at Hendrick’s.

1 Like