Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

Good suggestion, I really enjoy Highland National, for whatever reason it really flies under the radar here.

1 Like

Yeah - used to get pretty rough but the past few seasons it’s been in really good shape. Especially the greens.

Thanks for the suggestion!

So after looking at the list of open courses I am trying to decide between Loggers Trail and Highland National. Does anyone know how loggers trail plays this early in the season? It looks like a pretty sweet course when its all green.

1 Like

I’d think they’d both play well. I know I’ve played some early rounds at Loggers before and I think it drains pretty well. At least I can’t remember it being terrible in the past though I was less woke then. Highland also renovated probably 15 years ago in order to improve drainage so it should be good.

Loggers might be a touch easier early in the year with less fescue then mid summer. Loggers always kicks my ass for some reason, and can be pretty penal if you’re spraying the ball as there isn’t much in terms of adjoining fairways.

Highland is more your typical muni style course with adjoining fairways so it’s more forgiving. Honestly been a long time since I’ve played there. Highland is also much closer to the airport for what it’s worth.

It’s a shame @GRWhitehead will be at the Riinger as he lives near Loggers.

2 Likes

Damn I have always wanted to meet the man, the myth, the legend

Indian Hills is a course I’d really like to play again sometime. My mom had a membership out there when I was a kid for a while, and then again for the summer when I was 19. That summer was what really got me to love the game. I’d run out there after work, play 9 or hit the range, eat a free (to me) dinner, and then go find my friends. God that was a good summer.

Between those two I’d pick Loggers all day. I like Highland but Loggers has some really interesting and fun holes worth seeing and several fun half par holes, Highland is a little more run of the mill.

The tee shot on hole 11 at Loggers is sick, it’s like the road hole at St Andrews but goes the opposite direction and has an old barn to carry instead of a hotel.

2 Likes

Truth. Next time.

@Snellspace FYI - I just got an email notification that StoneRidge, my favorite public course in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area, is opening on Friday, something for you to consider…

3 Likes

Got to play Windsong with my high school team when we went to state one year. Coming from a pretty average public course, that place was like heaven.

1 Like

Stoneridge DEFINITELY better than either the aforementioned 2

1 Like

The more I play it, the more I like it and appreciate the design, lots of width/angles/options. It won’t be the case this time of year, but normally the conditions there are always outstanding too.

We are trying to play Stoneridge and Loggers Trail on Sunday, thanks for the recommendations. Have room for a fourth at Stoneridge at 1:40pm if anyone is interested

2 Likes

Very nice.

Is that We Ko Pa in your profile picture?

Nah Dove Mountain last November

Did not have the funds to afford We Ko Pah even in the shoulder season

It looks very similar to a hole on We Ko Pa, especially with the small deep front bunker.

Out of the 6 courses I played in Tucson in 3 days, that was the most pure of them all. No egregious housing developments blocking the view of the desert. It was spectacular

1 Like

Looks like I’m going to have make the two hour drive south to the cities. Duluth courses are at least 2 weeks away from opening. No word on Nemadji yet, but when I drove by last Friday it was still pretty snow covered.

1 Like